The only book in the Malfoy library that referenced Horcruxes. The one that had disappeared last June.

Lucius snatched the book and turned on his heel, only pausing to erase the memory of the catalog. As he left the library, Draco made to follow him, but Hermione dragged them to a halt. Her knees felt like they were about to give out.

"Sorry," she managed. "I just need a moment—"

"It's fine." Draco examined her as the library doors slammed behind his father. "He goes back to his study. All I saw was the word 'Horcrux' before the memory ended."

Hermione nodded, her head still spinning. Suddenly, the Pensieve began lifting them up and out, back to Lucius's study. Her legs returned to her in a jolt, and when her vision cleared, the clock on the wall clicked toward one in the morning.

Loosening her fingers from Draco's, she stumbled to brace herself on the desk. She could still see the crumbling walls of the shack and hear Goyle Sr.'s slick voice.

Closing her eyes, she tried to focus. She'd been certain Voldemort wouldn't have tried to make another Horcrux — his soul was too unstable. But somehow...

A scuffle of footsteps interrupted her train of thought.

"So, it's true then," Draco whispered. "With this 'Horcrux,' the Dark Lord can possess a person?"

"Not exactly." She opened her eyes with a wince. "It's not meant for a person. It's better suited for an object. But when your soul is split, you can share bodies, in certain cases. He did with Quirrell."

Draco gaped at her. "Professor Quirrell?"

"Yes. Long story." Sighing, she rubbed her temples. "There's a piece of Voldemort in Goyle, which means he must have split his soul again at some point. But when?" She frowned up at him. "And how did it get into Goyle without Voldemort realizing it?"

Draco's eyes flickered. "We need to watch the next," he said quietly. "I didn't get through all of it. When you're ready."

"I'm ready." Forcing herself to stand, she strode to the Pensieve and peered down at the tray of black vials.

After a few moments, Draco shuffled next to her, collecting the silver threads swirling in the Pensive and pouring them back into the first black vial. As he reached for the second vial, dated 13 June 1998, he hesitated. "I— skipped over certain things."

Before she could ask, he was tipping the memories into the basin and taking her hand.

They landed at Hogwarts — or what used to be Hogwarts. Lucius pushed open the heavy wooden doors and stepped into the Great Hall. He paused at a movement to his left.

Nagini.

Lucius's lips pressed together as she uncoiled from a rotting table, slithering to meet him. Lucius began walking forward, Nagini hissing at his feet. Draco and Hermione followed.

Her eyes rose above Lucius's head, skimming the ceiling. The books in her mind that were filled with the happy memories of four colorful banners pulled forward on their shelves, and the echoes of laughter swelled in her ears—

The stark torches flickered on the wall, and the laughter distorted into a high cackle, garbling into her own agonized scream as Voldemort slashed through her memories.

Squeezing her eyelids shut, she reached out in her mind and used what was left of her energy to close the books that had fallen open, sliding them back on their shelves.

They halted in front of a massive serpentine skeleton, sprawling from wall to wall. Voldemort stood at the far window, looking out over the Black Lake and running his fingers over the Elder Wand. Lucius approached the throne of bones and waited. Nagini coiled around it, her muscles contracting and expanding as she reared her head.