Ch 1: Absence

A/N

This first bit is set just before the last chapter on This Can't Be Real, it's to explain a few things.

And there will be a lot of main character deaths in this book, I'm sorry but it's the only way I can do this story.

~

I twist the fork in my hand, digging it into the spaghetti, I can't believe Ebony convinced me to come out tonight. On a double date with her boyfriend and a guy she knows.

We are all sitting in awkward silence, my fork is scrapping the plate, making a horrible noise, but I've got my audio-receptors turned down so it doesn't affect me. Ebony stomps on my foot underneath the table and I winch, the fork clattering to the plate.

I'm seventeen, I can't be worrying about humans boys, I need to be worrying about how to get my Jackie back, maybe a ground bridge will have enough energy to transport me there, maybe not because I can't find any energon in this world to power it.

"So....Emma, where do you work?" The guy, Harold, says across from me.

I look up, blowing a few strands of hair out of my face, "in the RAAF I'm a trainee and am learning mechanics." I say, no emotion whatsoever.

I feel a slight cold breeze pick up and I know Ebony is warning me to make this work. Well I don't care. I slam my hands on the table, startling both boys, I stand up and grab my favourite denim jacket from the head of the chair "I'm going," I say before I begin to walk out, hearing Ebony's chair pull out and she runs after me.

She grabs my arm and gives it a hard yank "Why are you being so pigheaded?!" She hisses, glaring at me.

I pull my arm free "why did we have to come back, here might be a place for you guys but without Jackie, there's nothing for me."

"You have to let go of the past."

"His my sparkpartner I can't let him go." I snap, walking out of the cafe doors and into the cold night air.

I look at the sky and see thunder clouds beginning to roll in, flashes of lightning inside the black clouds. "Of course I'm going to have to walk home," I mutter to myself, "bloody autumn." I add as I begin to long walk home.

- Present -

I grasp the edge of the sink, gasping for air as it shatters in my hands from gripping it too tightly.

"He talked to me," realisation hits me "they're in trouble." I mummer, leaning back on my two feet as I sway, walking out of my bathroom and stepping on the shattered sink and glass, ignore the stinging feeling and the lavender blood footprints that follow me, I put my hand to my ear and dial Ebony.
"Sorry! I'm busy at the time, leave a message or don't bother! Beep..."

"Ebony, I just received a com-link from Jackie, I'm not kidding and he said S.O.S, come to my place as soon as possible." I hang up, dialling everyone else and doing the same thing.

><><

I stand out in the rain, hoodie over my head as the rain pitter-patters on the jacket that my only shield against it.

Car headlights shine across the track, bouncing as it pulls up, Ebony, Jasmine, Phebe and Ivory stepping out as they run through it and hiding underneath the tree where we are.

"Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?" Ebony asks, rubbing her hands together to keep warm.

"I wasn't." I snap "It was him."