16 • "A Flowery Crown."

Start from the beginning

"Ahahah. . ." Aether gave a low laugh, "I wonder..."

The rest of the trip up was very silent, all that could be heard were the hilichurl camps we ignored, and the strong wind.

I wonder what he's gonna do. What's with all the flowers...

I pondered and pondered, until-

"We're here!"

"Ah-"
I accidentally bumped into Aether back.

"...Spacing out, are you?" He turned his head back.

"Sorry..."

"The peak of Starsnatch Cliff. What people usually do here, besides accidentally falling off the edge," He eyed me, "Is, well, to pick Cecilia, or spend time with someone else."

"So...what you're saying is..." I pointed to myself, "You wanna spend time with me?"

He gave me a bored gaze, "Have you finally woken up from your head in the clouds?" He knocked lightly on my forehead.

"Ow- Sorry, mom."

"..." He sighed, "Anyway, sit down."

He kneeled down on the grass and laid all of the flowers on the ground.

"What are we doing with these flowers? Flower sorting...?" I sat down too.

"No, take another guess." He took something out of his pocket.

"Planting flowers?"

Aether shook his head, "Wrong again. Look."

He showed me a bundle of emerald coloured strings, "We're making flower crowns." He smiled.

"...!"
I felt a little blush creeping up my cheeks.

"Do you know how to make them?" He asked, putting the green strings down.

"No, not really. I imagine it's something similar to making a bracelet with beads?" I asked.

"Well," He took a string from the bundle and took a Calla Lily from the bouquets, "You tie the string's ends together, so it becomes a loop."

Aether's becoming the tutorial man!

"And then you just coil the flower stems around the string, and tie it together."

I watched intently as I hugged my knees.

"And you just do it with a bunch of other flowers!" Aether nodded to himself, "Which is your favourite flower? I'm making this one for you."

"Uh..." I looked at the variety of flowers laid neatly on a row.

"If I'm honest," I chuckled a little, "I really don't have a particular favourite. Why don't you see what you think suits me?"

"Well, a Small Lamp Grass." Aether held up the blue plant.

"Why's that?"