ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴡᴇ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜɴɢ

To say that Ransom's family is a nightmare would be a huge understatement. You have never encountered people more rude in your entire life. Most of them are world class champions in the back-handed compliment division.

Your grandparents were the ones who raised you and they were best friends with Harlan Thrombey and his late wife.

When you were little, you would see Harlan almost every weekend either at his house or at a restaurant. The Thrombeys and your grandparents were inseparable.

You and Ransom are the same age and when you were kids, your grandparents would make you have playdates while they chatted for hours.

Linda and Richard Drysdale loved to drop their son off at his grandparents' mansion and leave them to take care of him. Harlan loved Ransom like his own son, taking care of him was never a problem for Harlan.

It wasn't a problem for you either, Ransom had always been nice to you and you always had fun running around in the backyard while your grandparents kept watchful eyes over the two of you. The closest neighbours were miles away but you were sure that they could hear yours and Ransom's screeches when you got too hyped up on sugar.

Ransom was your best friend, and you were his.

Your birthdays were only a few weeks apart and because you loved each other so much, you always had joined birthday parties.

Ransom would walk around and count how many presents had his name on it and would do the same with yours, and if he had more than you he would give you gifts from his own pile so you'd have the same amount of gifts.

The birthday cake you both shared was always chocolate, even though Ransom's favorite was vanilla, because it was your favorite.

He always made you blow out the candles and have the first piece of cake.

Ransom treated you like an absolute princess and the grownups couldn't help but swoon at how adorable the two of you were.

''I'm telling you, one day these two are going to get married. They're soulmates.''

You were 12 when you heard one of Harlan's friends say this to her husband, back then you didn't know what it meant to be soulmates but you'd later figure out that she had been wrong.

Ransom completely changed after he turned 13. He didn't want to hangout with you anymore and would complain if you even looked at him. The last time you shared a birthday he threw the biggest tantrum of his life because he ''didn't want to'' and he H-A-T-E-D it as he screamed over and over again. You ran and hid under Harlan's desk in his office and you spent an hour crying, not understanding why Ransom was suddenly so mean and hated you so much.

After the birthday party from hell, you asked your grandparents if you could stay home while they visited Harlan and you felt relieved when they accepted. You only saw him at school and even then you made sure to stay as far away as possible from him.

Your relationship only got worse with time. Ransom got popular and was now hanging out with the biggest douchebags of the school whereas you spent most of your time alone in the library.

Ransom had become the epitome of everything you hated in human beings. He was selfish, he was mean and self-serving, you even caught him bullying someone once and you had slapped him so hard, you got detention until the end of the school year because of it.

Then you turned 18 and Ransom got his trust-fund. Money oozed from his pores and it made you sick to your stomach to see what he had become.

The last time you saw Ransom was at graduation and after that, you disappeared from his life completely.