Mother Knows Best

Comincia dall'inizio

Nevertheless, I let him sit and watch as Jayfeather returned to Cherrykit's side, beginning to check her over again while I observed anxiously. He had her open her mouth, stand up, move around, and even cough a couple of times.

And all while this was happening, I still noticed that Cherrykit seemed to be taking glances out towards the ThunderClan camp. I really didn't want to think anything of it; after all, she had just shared her desire to be released from the medicine den and go out into camp, but... the glint in her eyes was definitely something that I hadn't seen before, at least... not many times. And for some reason, it doesn't sit right with me, but... I then took a deep breath, forcing myself to push these thoughts away once again. Then again, she's never been cooped up in the medicine den with whitecough before, either.

I then brought my attention back to my other kit, Molekit, who already seemed to be growing antsy from where he sat just a tail-length away, and I felt a pang of curiosity and apprehension as he then jumped up and ran towards an empty moss nest.

He then proceeded to rip a clump of the moss away from the rest, quickly roll it up, and then strike it with a single paw towards Cherrykit. Jayfeather had walked back towards his herbs at the back of the den, and wasn't able to take notice. "Mossball! C'mon, Cherrykit!" Molekit yelped to his ginger tabby sister. "You can do something as easy as passing it back to me, right?"

I ruthlessly pushed down my impatience, trying to keep my voice calm as I flashed my son a warning look. "Molekit! Did you not hear what I just said to-"

"Actually, Cherrykit might be able to pass that mossball back," I flicked my ears with surprise as I heard Jayfeather's voice cut me off from behind me, and I looked back at see that the gray tabby medicine cat was padding back up to us, certainty in his blind blue eyes. "Cherrykit is doing very well; she has recovered very quickly."

I felt my eyes slowly begin to widen, and my heart begin to race with excitement. "Recovered? So, that means..."

Jayfeather gave a single sharp, curt nod. "Yes, Cherrykit is released," he muttered before turning back towards his herbs once again. "And at a good time, too – I can already tell that many more cats are going to be in her position very soon."

Oh, thank StarClan!

I let out a long, relieved sigh, a weight the size of a mountain being lifted off of my shoulders as I heard my daughter let out an excited squeal. "Thank you so much, Jayfeather!" she then meowed cheerfully to the medicine cat. "Thank you for taking care of me!"

I then felt yet another purr rise in my throat as I then felt my daughter's flank press up against mine. "And thank you, mother, for staying in here with me!" I then felt Cherrykit pull away, and I looked down to see her finally bash against the mossball, causing it to pelt towards her brother. "Come on, Molekit!" she then called out to him, who was already halfway out of the den entrance. "Let's play!"

Then, as Cherrykit hit the mossball, she almost seemed to match its speed as she pelted out of the medicine den and out into the camp. I followed more slowly, briefly touching my tail to Jayfeather's shoulder in gratitude before following my two kits out, my heart feeling immensely warm as I watched them play together. I wasn't sure when I'd be able to do this next... I thought solemnly as I decided to settle down just outside of the nursery. When Cherrykit was first diagnosed, I even wondered if I'd ever be able to do it again!

I then lowered my head so that it was resting on my two front paws, and I realized for the first time in a few days just how exhausted I was. Worrying for your kit's life, and then hating that you can't give as much attention to the other is a truly draining, horrible thing to endure, I thought. Every cough of Cherrykit's broke my heart, and each time Molekit would poke his head into the medicine den made me want to yowl out in pain. But it's over now... I tried to tell myself. Your kits are safe. Cherrykit is all better, and now she and Molekit are together again.