Moderator: "Incorrect."

Me: "Hypothyroidism?"

Moderator: "Correct."

I smirked to myself. Take that Liam. Bet you wished you waved back to me now. I flashed him a quick look and he was wearing a lopsided smile. Well, I wasn't expecting that.

Moderator: "What two reagent can you use to identify an aldehyde functional group?"

Liam: "Brady's and Tollens reagent."

Moderator: "Correct"

Well there goes my chance to catch up.

Moderator: "A right angle triangle has a base of 10 meters, a height of 7 meters, what is the size of the hypothenuse?"

Alex: "12.2"

Whoa, he wasn't made captain of the robotics club for nothing. He could do math mentally and was famous for it. He definitely was an Asian stereotype.

But that's not the reason I didn't like him. He was a misogyny creep who didn't want me in the club and basically blocked me by making a petition to the principal about not wanting any "distractions" in the all male club.

Well he could eat my ass.

Didn't your teacher tell you that units were important? Well he is going to learn today.

Moderator: "Incomplete."

Me: "12.2 Meters."

Moderator: "Correct."

Alex looked pissed and I could really care less.

The quiz finally ended at the thirty minute mark and the crowd erupted in a pandemonium.

The scores were as followed; Liam 26 in first place, me in second place with 24 points, Alex 17 and Claudia was still at 12.

The moderator closed the show and the award ceremony was held right after.

Throphies were assigned to each candidate accordingly and we were then congratulated by members of the school board, a special guess judge and our teachers and had to do a photo op.

Claudia ofcourse didn't get anything but a small bouquet and she stormed off the stage crying to her clique who comforted her and called me cheater. Like was I the only one who beat her? I didn't even win. Something was definitely wrong with the woman race.

Liam was whisked away by the swim team who popped a bottle of champagne poured it over his head and flung him up at some ungodly heights to celebrate. Sigh...boys.

Alex was cheered up by the robotics club. They weren't as boisterous as the aquatic squad but they were a close knit group, I heard some one mention pizza and they all left hurriedly afterwards.

I was harshly pulled into Anya's embrace and I was all smiles. I was so happy that you'd think I won. I knew deep down I wouldn't have been able to beat Liam. He was my tutor for goodness sake. There was no way I could have. But I sure did give him a fight.

Furthermore, I got to stick it to Claudia and Alex so that for me was a win. I was a bit disappointed about not getting the scholarship, but it was going to Liam, someone I cared about so that for me was reason enough. And I did get a consultation prize of fifteen thousand dollars so that along with what my mom has saved up should help me in future.

I was beyond elated.

A few people I've seen around campus joined Anya in congratulating me. Namely, Jasmine, she was dark skin, tall, and beautiful, her hair was braided at the front and the back was pulled up in a giant puff that I was tempted to touch.

Another was Eric. He was a member of the chess club. That was all I really knew about him.

Kelly, Austin and Brianna who were also friends with Anya because they were apart of the school newspaper also offered their compliments. They wanted a photo and asked permission to write a piece about me being the underdog.

I definitely liked the narrative so I agreed.

"How would you like to celebrate?" Anya asked while rescuing me from the madding crowd. "I heard Stephanie is having a party after school."

"We haven't been to karaoke in a while." I said deflecting. If I even thought about going to Stephaie's party, she would scratch my eyes out.

Jasmine and Eric heard my karaoke bit and decided they would join us. Eric had a car and wouldn't hear of us taking an uber so we were smooshed together in his car and listened to music from my extensive music gallery. One of the few things in my life I was proud of.

"You know you all are really chilled right?" Jasmine blurted out in the shot gun side. "Stephanie really got to the rest of the school in making you into the bad guy Becca."

She used the shortened form of my name. Mmm...ok I'll allow it.

"Why? What did she say?" I asked out of curiosity. What could she possibly have said to turn the entire school population against me.

"She said you were in a relationship with Mr Avied the biology teacher." Jasmine replied. "So you would have him adjust your grades in your other subject areas to seem like the top female student but you still couldn't beat Claudia."

"What the actually fuck?" Anya said before I could. I've never heard her swear before, it was oddly refreshing.

I thought back to when Mr Avied had told us about his research in monoclonal antibodies and early treatment for colonorectal cancer for his PhD. I was fully invested and he showed me his work so far in Sprague dawley rats.

I was fascinated and he was always willing to teach. I am sick to my stomach to think people thought we were having sex. What about his wife and son? Imagine if they caught wind of rumors like these, they would destroy his relationship and his entire career.

But this explains everything. Why I was avoided by most people, why no one showed for my tutorship sessions, everyone thought I was a fraud, reason enough not to study with me.

"So what are they saying now?" I asked trying to hold back my anger and hurt.

"The quiz was conducted by school board members and a supporting Ivy league university. There was no way to cheat. Doing well in it meant you are the real deal." Jasmine reiterated.

But that for me wasn't enough. People still thought I was a fake, opportunistic slut who was sleeping with my biology teacher. I had to spin this narrative before people started getting hurt.

"Change of plans. I said. "We are going to that party!"