Chapter 1: A Seemingly Normal Day

A normal school day. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. Brush teeth. Regular schedule. Go out the back door. Start walking to school. I sigh, wishing that my life would be anything but normal.

I feel normal. Normal brown hair, cut short like a boy's, normal greein-ish eyes, normal house, normal school. Why couldn't something interesting happen for a change? I think.

Someone comes to walk next to me. I know her. She was in my class until she moved to another school. Surprised to see her here, I wave.

"Hey, Emmy!" I call. For some reason, she's doodling in a notebook with a ballpoint pen with bright green ink. "What are you doing?" I ask.

"Hi, Aurora." Emmy says. "For what I'm doing? What does it look like? Drawing."

I walk over to see what she's doodling on her notepad. It's a large, vine-like creature, with a long, curling tail, short, stocky legs and a snout that is reminiscent of a cat's. "Very good artwork." I say. "Where'd you learn?"

"In art classes." I'm not fooled. She's ducking the question. I skip past it, hoping to find more answers elsewhere.

"Why are you here anyway? You left school almost 5 months ago!"

"I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"This is for your benefit."

Then, the vine-thing literally jumps out of the page in all of its bright green glory and knocks me into the bushes on the side of the pavement.