- « Hi there. First you need a nice collar, then some food and a litter box. I'll take care of you, big guy. Natsu » shouted Chifuyu « can you bring me a pack of kibble, a litter box and a kitten collar from the shop please? »

- « Yes, boss! » answered a voice in the back of the shop.

Chifuyu turned to me and gave me a slight smile. He looked tired and ... sad. I had never seen him like that before. Perhaps he had just broken up? I glanced at his left hand. No wedding ring. It seems we are both lonely souls.

- « I'm glad to see you're okay » I tried to break the ice.

- « Oh ... yes, sort of. I'm glad you're doing well too. What do you do now? »

- « I'm a lawyer. »

- « Oh wow, I'm not surprised. You were always brilliant. Your husband must be the happiest man alive. »

- « Oh no, I'm not married. »

- « You're not? Men don't know what they're missing » he replied wistfully

- « Chifuyu... »

- « Well... How's Mikey? »

- « He's fine. Still in jail. I'm working day and night to try to get him out, but this is still my most complicated case. »

- « Oh, I see. I'm sorry... This is all my fault. »

- « No, nobody ever thought it was your fault. »

Suddenly, our conversation was interrupted by the famous Natsu who was coming back from the storeroom. He put all the equipment on the counter and I picked up my kitten. I walked with Chifuyu to the counter and took out my wallet.

- « Oh no, this is for me. To thank you for brightening up this rainy day. »

- « Chifuyu... »

I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper from my briefcase and wrote down my phone number, before handing it to him.

- « Call me when you have a free night. I'll be happy to take you out to dinner. »

He took the piece of paper, a sad smile on the corner of his lips. He looked up at me, and for a moment the sparkle that once animated him was rekindled.

- « Thank you very much » he said. « Take care of yourself, Erina »

- « You too, Chifuyu. »

And with those words, I walked out with my kitten and my equipment. I called another taxi and went home.

2 days later.

Ring. Ring. I looked at my phone. Who could be calling me in the middle of a meeting? I apologized to my associates and left the conference room. I picked up the phone.

- « Sano Erina speaking. Who am I speaking to? »

- « Miss Sano, do you have a moment to discuss an important matter? I'm a notary at Shikadai and Associates. »

- « Hm...yes. »

- « Did you know a Matsuno Chifuyu? »

- « Yes, of course I know Chifuyu. »

- « Miss Sano... I regret to inform you that he committed suicide two days ago. »

My eyes froze and my heart skipped a beat. Wha... What? I dropped my phone and sat down on a nearby sofa.

- « Ms. Sano? Are you still here? »

Suicide? Two days ago... The same day I visited. "To thank you for brightening this rainy day" The last day of his life. I bit my lower lip and tried to hold back the tears that threatened to fall. And I had foolishly invited him to lunch. I plucked up my courage and reached for my phone.