St. Geromes Hospital

Start from the beginning

"It's alright, Mikey. We can still go there tomorrow, right?"

He tilted his head to touch hers. "Yeah, if we can find a place to stay the night, a gas station and some directions."

She laughed, looking up at him. "You make it sound so easy."

"That's my job." he said, flashing a smile.

"Hey look!" she yelled suddenly, sitting up straight. He jerked his head forward and slowed down. "What is it?"

"A sign!" she exclaimed.

"What, like a road sign?"

"Yeah! Back there!"

He brought the car to a stop on the side of the road. Great. he thought, turning in his seat.

"How far back was it?"

"Not that far."

His eyes scanned the darkness through the rear window. It was pitch black outside now, and impossible to see through.

"Alright, I'm going to make a u-turn so we can read it."

"Wow, Mr. Risky." Sarah giggled.

"It's our only piece of direction right now."

"I know. Sorry, I'm probably drunk."

"Agreed."

He pulled the car forward then backed it up, turning as he did, then started forward again and backed up while turning. He repeated this, until the car was turned around, still on the side of the road. With the headlights shining in the opposite direction, they could both see the back of a sign sticking up from the ground about 20 yards away.

Let's hope it has some valuable info, he thought as he moved the car forward. They both stared intently at the sign as they neared it. When they were about 5 yards away, he noticed that it was quite old and disheveled looking. He guided the car around it, then turned the car forward again so they could read what it said.

Saint Gerome's Hospital

"Saint Gerome's Hospital?" Sarah read aloud.  

"Well that was a waste of time." Michael sighed and drove the car back onto the highway. As they began to pick up speed, Sarah looked at him. "What if it's an actual hospital? Like, where we could ask for directions?"

He scoffed. "Did you see that sign? It was decades old. If the place is still standing, it's an abandoned dump."

Sarah nodded and turned back to the window. After a few minutes of driving, she turned around and grabbed the blanket from the backseat. Spreading it across herself, she nestled into her seat, leaning her head against the window and across her arm. Michael kept his eyes on the road. It was like driving through mile after mile of the same exact scenery. Trees and darkness.

Looking at the gas guage, he realized that it was less than half way full. He cursed himself for buying a car with a less than decent mpg rating. Alright. You're running out of gas, you're in the middle of nowhere, you're lost, and it's dark outside. Not the best situation to be in. He looked over at Sarah, who was still asleep. When he turned his eyes back to the road he saw a light in the distance.

"What?" he said in surprise. A spark of hope ignited in him and he pushed a little harder on the gas pedal. As he got closer, he realized the light was moving. It had a red and green color and was pretty low to the ground. He slowed down when he was about 10 yards from it and came to a stop when just a few feet away. It was a sign on the side of the road.