Chapter 1

"Andito na sila," a guy wearing an all-black security outfit said to the walkie-talkie.  

Their party was held in their garden. They were Chinese and one of the biggest investors of Tuazon Hotel Main located in Cebu and they also have a shipping company, one of the biggest shipping companies in Asia, I think- I'm not so sure. They have a son maybe three or four years older than me, Jack Huang the eldest, and happens to be the guy my parents want me to marry.

I'm actually okay with it since I'm not really in a relationship at the moment since my parents are strict. Well, I'm not gonna lie I already tried talking to a guy but it never really works. 

This is the second time the Huangs invited us to an event that's not business-related. They're celebrating Ericka's 14th birthday, the second child of Tito Edward and Tita Clarise Huang. She was my schoolmate back in junior high school before I moved to a medical school for senior high. 

Getting off of the car Tita Clarise greeted us with a smile and made beso with mommy. "I'm glad you made it Leanna!" she exclaimed. She then turned her attention to me and went in for a beso, "good evening po tita" I greeted her with a smile. "Pearl! beautiful as always, I'm glad you came. Lucas really wanted to see you" she said pertaining to her youngest child. "I missed him also tita," I said looking for Lucas who was playing with their dogs.

Tita Clarise and mommy grew up together, they were neighbors and went to the same school.

We sit at the same table the Huang family is sitting. My mom and dad sit next to each other across Tito Edward and Tita Clarise. Jack was sitting in front of me, next to him was Ericka and beside me was Lucas in a high chair beside his nanny. My dad gave a bottle of Boërl & Kroff Brut to Tito Edward. 

"Marcus, you shouldn't have!" Tita Clarice said looking at the bottle of champagne in Tito Edward's hand. "We couldn't come empty-handed Clarise minus point yan sa ganda ko, "Mommy said jokingly and they all laughed.

There was a tiny menu on each plate so that we would have an idea of what dish would be served. The garden was decorated with light blue and white balloons, along with blue, white,  and gold silk fabric in their gazebo located in the middle of their garden. Their rectangular gazebo was spacious and they placed a white throne with a hint of gold on the edges, which I assume that's where Ericka sat earlier. We were a little late for Ericka's entrance, mom had an emergency in the hospital.

The waiter served our food, the first thing on the menu was chicken basquaise and rice together with a seafood soup with ginger and yuzu kosho. Their dish was french styled, one of my faves cause I like spending my summer in Paris, but we spent our summer in Hawaii this year. Nag umpisa na kaming kumain at na pansin kong may naka titig sakin mula sa likod. I noticed that some of Ericka's friends were teasing one of the guys sa table nila while stealing glances sa kung saan ako. I looked back and Jack was already staring at me, so gave I him a small smile. 

Nakita nila tita and ngiti na binigay ko kay Jack and gave us a look na parang nag sasabing 'ano yon?'. I chuckled cause I find them cute when they tease us but i did not pay attention to them any more at nag patuloy na sa pag kain.

Papunta ako sa dessert buffet para kumuha ng macaroons. I placed three matcha-flavored macaroons on my dessert. Pag talikod ko ay naka abang ang mga kaibigan ni Ericka pulling a guy, forcing him to get close me. They managed to pull the guy, but with so much force the guy bumped me which made me lose my balance. 

'"oh no!"

"Pedro!"

"Ate Pearl!" 

Pumikit ako at nag hintay sa aking bagsak, ngunit hindi ito dumating. Naramdaman ko ang mahigpit na hawak sa magkabila kong braso, as i regained my balance i turned to the person who caught me. "thank- " napahinto ako sa sasabihin ko.

He was taller than me, my eyes went to his natural side part dark brown hair, then I examined his face. He looked like the young Tom Cruise with his thick brows, sharp nose, well-defined jaw, and deep-set hazel eyes. Well, Tom Cruise without the green eyes.

I didn't realize that I was staring at him for too long. Bigla akong natauhan nang narinig ko ang boses ni mommy at tita sa likod ko. "Thank you" pasalamat ko sa kanya at tumalikod na ako.

"my goodness hija, are you okay?" Tita Clarice asked me worriedly. As I scanned the place, everyone's attention was on us. "I'm okay lang po, tita" I assured her.

"Anong nangyari dito?" tanong ni Tito Edward na palapit sa amin at naka sunod sa kaniya sila Jack at Ericka. "Im sorry tito, tita. We were trying to get Pedro to talk to ate Pearl. We didn't mean to cause a scene" one of the girls explained. "Well, nobody got hurt right?" Tita asked scanning me and Pedro. "No one got hurt po Tita" i answered.

The party continued as if nothing had happened.  Ericka entertained some of her visitors, mommy and tita were still chatting while dad and Tito were drinking wine. Jack got up from his chair and went to his friends.

'the guy earlier must be one of Jack's friends' I thought to myself while drinking the pineapple juice that I requested.

Some people were dancing, some were eating dessert, chatting and the vibe of the garden changed from formal to a more chill party with disco lights and a live band playing Maroon 5 songs.

"Ate Pearl" someone tapped my shoulder from behind. I look up to see who it was, It was Pedro na may dalang matcha macaroons. I stood up to greet him, "Pedro, what brings you here?" I asked. Binigay niya sakin ang dala niyang macaroon, "sorry about earlier ate Pearl" he apologized  handing the macaroons to me. Kinuha ko ang macaroons sa gamay niya at nag pasalamat.

I was busy thinking about the guys that saved me earlier, that I forgot about the macaroons.

'but his eyes...oh his eyes- no stop thinking about it Pearl!' I mentally slapped myself.

Sinundan ko siya ng tingin pabalik sa mga kaibigan niya and they started teasing him. I know that Pedro likes me, he gave me a graduation gift last year and confessed his feelings for me. But I'm not really into younger guys.  

As I watched Pedro settling down in his chair, my eyes caught someone behind them.  There I saw him, holding a beer in his left hand staring at me while his friends laugh beside him. I looked away.

Author's note:

Still editing. Hehe😄