Chapter Five: It changes

Começar do início

My mother looked teary eyed as she came over to me with a smile. Dad had her on his arm as they had brought a dish for everyone to eat. It was a potluck for dinner since the wedding didn't exactly leave time for anyone to plan a nicer dinner.

"How's it going?" I asked, knowing mom was having a hard time knowing her first child was getting married so soon.

But as I caught a glimpse of Maxwell looking to be stressed, I asked if I could speak to mom alone.

Dad nodded and headed off to speak to Max as we all were out on the back lawn, under the little tent we had put up.

I whispered to mom, knowing I couldn't keep the secret anymore.

"Oliver said that Max and Phoebe are only getting married because he doesn't want her to have to be stuck with her family when he leaves."

Mom had wide, stunned eyes. "And I think he's in love with her though. You know the way he looks at her. He looks at her like shes his entire world."

Mom stroked my cheek and chuckled. "He has been the moment he first saw her at that pub dinner we had once. He's never looked at a girl like he does to Phoebe."

"But what if Phoebe doesn't love him and she falls in love with someone else?"

"Max would tell her that he's in love. I'm sure he has."

But it was so glaringly clear that he hadn't.

We watched as his eyes sparkled every time the mention of Phoebe was made. He was so nervous for her married to her that he kept fiddling with his tie and fixing his suspenders. He kept pacing and anxiously waiting for the Hoffman's and the Buchanan's to arrive, as well as his Bride.

Everyone was only dressed as if we were going to church, not to church for a wedding. It was simple yet sweet. Mrs Hoffman seemed to be under the impression that Phoebe would be over dressed and in a wedding dress, as if she had gone out in secret to buy one with the zero dollars a woman her age was allowed to have.

So when Phoebe arrived only minutes after her biological parents arrived, her mother was underwhelmed. We all could see that maybe this wedding was far too rushed if they really were in love. Everyone but only a few of us knew the wedding was nothing but a deal to protect Phoebe.

It wasn't supposed to be anything romantic or heartfelt, especially since it was just a backyard wedding, yet it felt to be exactly that.

My big brother smiled at Phoebe as they held hands gently. He smiled at her like she was the prettiest thing he had ever seen in his entire life.

My mom began to cry like the three other mothers as we all watched them be wed.

Phoebe had little flowers in her hair in replace of a veil she couldn't afford. We all knew Mrs Hoffman was upset that she hadn't known about Phoebe not having a wedding dress or veil, but it didn't stop the wedding.

"Now I pronounce you husband and wife. Maxwell, you may kiss your bride."

Max held Phoebes cheek gently as she had to stand on her toes to reach his lips. My brother looked to have enjoyed the kiss... Phoebe had too by the blush across her cheeks as well.

———

Mack was so awkward with me. I was too, since after all we were best friends and now married. It was so strange to me that it felt surreal.

The party was cute and simple. We had a pot luck dinner and each had a slice of the cake I made. No one seemed to suspect our reasoning to get married which made me feel confident that I made the right decision for my future.