The sister I never had

CHAPTER 1:

The summer has just began but i'm stuck here. All my friends are going somewhere extraordinary and im stuck here in Arizona.

We have new neighbors today. I heard boxes and furniture being pulled off a truck all morning. I figure maybe i should  go say hello but, should i wait until their settled first?

I peered out my open window. There was a little girl running around the moving truck. She wore a full fairy outfit; from flowers on her head to little sparkles on her shoes. She saw me and it was to late to duck back in.

"Can you come play with me?" She asked from the ground below

I sighed and said "I'd love too. I'll be out in a minute"

What was i doing? Here i am, fourteen years old about to go outside to play with a little girl that didn't even look like she started kindergarten yet.

Maybe I should be nice, she's new and doesn't know anyone around here probably. And besides, do I seriously have anything better to do?

I opened the front door to find the girl waiting right there with a huge smile on her face.

"Hi i'm Molly!" She said and stuck her hand out

"Hi...I'm Bridget" I said and shook her hand

"You wanna come see my family?" She asked

"Ok" I said and then called into the house "Hey mom! I'm going next door to meet the new neighbors"

Molly took my hand and pulled me along towards her house.

"Mommy!" She called "I made a new friend! Her name is Bridget!"

A woman who wore a long flowy sundress appeared and she smiled kindly at me.

"Hi i'm Dina James" She said to me

"Hey..um i'm Bridget Lynns. I live right next door" I said pointing to my house

"She said she'd play with me!" Molly smiled up at me

"That's wonderful" Dina said "I haven't seen any children on this street yet...."

"Yeah. Most of the kids are my age" I said

"Lets go! Lets go!" Molly pulled impatiently at my shorts "I have a swing, and a slide, and a wagon! Oh, can you pull me in the wagon pleaseeee?"

"Have fun" Dina said and dissapeared into the house

Molly ran towards the back of the house and i followed close behind.

I learned something new and that is, Molly has the biggest imagiantion i've ever seen on a kid. She can make up things just like that and she always finds fun.

We sat on her swingset later and ate popsicles. I dug my feet into the sand underneath the swings.

"Is first grade scary?" She asked

"Huh?"

"I start first grade this year. Will it be scary?"

"Oh, no course not. First grade is fun" I smiled

She smiled too, her lips were the bright red color of her popsicle too.

"You know my birthday is in three weeks? I'll be six" She said

"Are you gonna have a party"

"Of course! You'll come won't you?"

"Of course i will" I laughed

"Molly! Time to come inside! It's getting dark sweetie!" Her mother called from inside

"Oh, i have to go" She said

"I have to too" I said and stood up

"I'll see you tomorow" She said and walked toward her house

I started towards my house but then she called me again.

"Hey Bridget"

"Yeah?" I asked

"You know your the first best friend i've ever had?"

I smiled at her. I wasn't sure how to answer that but just my smile must have satisfied her. She ran into her housecalling  "Goodnight Bridget!"

"Night Molly!" I called back

I entered my house and was surrounded by the smells of my mom's wonderful cooking.

"Hey Mom" I said when i came in the kitchen

"You like the new neighbors?" She asked

"Yeah, Molly is so sweet"

"Their coming over for a little while before they leave tomorow"

"Where are they going?"

"Their taking Molly to her weekly checkups to make sure everything is alright"

"Weekly? I thought it was every two months or so kids need checkups?"

"Do you not know?" My mom's face lookwd serious now

"Not know what?"

"Molly has luekemmia"

My heart dropped. I would have never guessed. I mean, she looked like a normal litlle girl. Cancer? Already? She hasn't even started first grade yet.

"Oh" was all i said

We didn't talk about it anymore that night.Me, mom. dad, and my older brother Trace ate dinner and then i went upstairs to take a shower.

I laid awake that night wondering what was going through Molly's head. I hoped she knew she was beautiful and she was a normal little girl no matter if she were sick or not.

I wanted her to start first grade like every other kid around the nation. I wanted her to have everyone want to be her friend. I wanted her to have more than one best friend.