20| 𝑺𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅'𝒗𝒆 𝑺𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑰𝒕 𝑪𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒏𝒈

Start from the beginning

"Still my baby," she huffs as Klaus smiles at her and tucks a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Have you ever thought of having kids of your own?" he asks her all of a sudden, earning a confused look from her.

"I have kids of my own," she replies and Klaus quickly corrects himself, "no I meant, before we knew about Hope. I know you see Ryan and the twins as your own kids but have you ever thought of having biological kids of your own?"

Kaitlyn remains quiet for a while before speaking up again, "I've always wanted kids. Ryan and the twins...no matter what, they are mine. I think before Chris passed away, I did consider kids of my own for a bit. Maybe years down the line when the twins were older. But then, I turned and Chris passed away, so I completely shut off that thought altogether because there was no point in thinking of having kids of my own again since I couldn't, even if I wanted to."

Klaus sighs loudly, "I'm sorry, love," he says as he pulls her into a side hug.

"No it's okay. I have four kids, a beautiful family, amazing friends and a fiancée now. What more could I ask for?" she says with a small smile and Klaus nods.

"I wish I could give you kids of your own, one we'd get to raise together. Even with Hope, I missed out most of her childhood trying to protect her or away from her. I just wish I got to experience what a normal family life is like, for once," Klaus says and Kaitlyn looks up and him.

"You can now. There's no guarantee nothing will go wrong in the future but that's how you know you have to make the most of whatever you can get," she says as she cups his face in her hands and he smiles at her.

"Do you...ever think of how because of me being born as a werewolf, we could still have Hope, maybe it could be the same for you? I mean, yes all vampires are born human but you're not an ordinary vampire. You're a heretic, with magic from some ancient powerful bloodline. Heretics in itself are so rare so maybe..." he trails off.

"I know what you're getting at and honestly, I don't know. Two months ago, I didn't even know about my ancestry. Maybe if I explore my bloodline history a little more, I'd understand my magic better and finally have an explanation as to why I got to keep my magic even after I turned. As for the possibility of me being able to have kids because of my 'rare abilities', I don't even know but if there's one thing I've learned over these years is that anything is possible in the supernatural world. But I don't know if I even want to explore that idea anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love you and I love my kids but four kids in enough work. You know it better than anyone, the constant worry of past enemies showing up, putting your child's life at risk, the fear of not being able to protect them all the time- it's all too much sometimes and I don't know how strong I can be for all of them and for how long," Kaitlyn confesses.

"Love, you raised three beautifully strong kids all on your own. You're stronger than you give yourself credit for but yes, I know what you mean. And I promise you, from now to as long as forever is, I will be right by your side, protecting you and your loved ones with my life. Always and forever," Klaus promises, placing a loving kiss on Kaitlyn's forehead.

"And I promise you the same," she replies, "but Nik, now that we're promising each other this, there's something you should know about the twins-" Kaitlyn goes to speak but gets cut off by sudden knocking on their bedroom door again.

Klaus sighs, "we'll be out soon, Rebekah!" he yells out and the knocking subdues.

"You were saying?" he asks as he turns back to Kaitlyn.

"No it's alright. It can wait. We should head down now or Bekah is going to get mad at us again," she states with a short laugh.

"Nothing new in that," Klaus replies with an eye-roll as they both get up to freshen up and start their day, officially.