"We'll accept anything you leave here, but do not ever attempt to take from us."

Perhaps such was what drove some inherent desire within my mind, some unchangeable piece of my humanistic soul, into believing that I might be satisfied if I were to release those emotions on the perpetrator of my loss.

It was Friday evening now—(Y/n) had thoroughly calculated a foolproof plan for the short mission with me, and we were expecting the arrival of Machi and Feitan sometime before noon the next morning. I'd purchased plane tickets for the two of them, separate from the plane tickets for me and (Y/n), but I'd also been coaxed by Machi to purchase a fifth ticket. Someone had caught her inquisitive eye, I was sure—if, whoever this was, happened not to be of my liking, I held no issue in allowing them the pleasure of embarking on the mission, merely to kill them afterward. It would be a waste of skill and time to refuse their admission for the evening. But I trusted Machi's instincts; in the very least, I was intrigued by this new arrival.

When I finished dusting the last shelf of my ground floor library, I felt at ease, peacefully complacent. (Y/n) was surely waiting for me—I'd become carried away with my endeavors to find for her a suitable fantastical fiction. I peered down at the book in my hand, my sight tracing over the mildly worn binding and slightly warped hardcover as I remembered the countless times I'd read this story. Before departing from the room, I glanced around it one last time, wondering when, or if, I would ever become dissatisfied by this stationary location and leave it to rot away.

Tossing the used dusting cloth into the trash, I meandered back through the halls and up the stairs. My footsteps were silent, a learned habit, as I approached our room and turned through the open door. Immediately, my eyes fell upon (Y/n), seated up against the elaborate headboard of our bed with her knees brought to her chest and another book propped up in her delicate hands. I felt my expression soften slightly as I stood still for only a moment and gazed at her features, a bit pinched from concentration, her forehead drawn taut as she dutifully scanned the words on the page. I could've continued to stare, if it weren't for my overwhelming curiosity concerning what it was she read—simply being beside her and observing what turned the interest in her lovely mind, what sparked her distaste, what held her undying devotion, was an action I wasn't sure I would ever possibly grow bored of.

As I advanced toward the bed, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked the time, noting that it was just past nine in the evening—truly, I'd gotten carried away. My brows furrowed loosely, a soft frown settling down upon my face as I absently set the book I'd brought on the foot of the mattress. With a short inhale, I tossed my phone down, as well, and tugged my shirt over my head, wincing slightly as it caught on my gages. Black locks of my own hair fell before my eyes, and I shook my head back and forth carelessly to clear my vision, draping the shirt over the bed with my phone.

The room had been dimmed in my absence, it seemed—(Y/n) had only left the smooth, warm gradient of the lamp turned to a medium setting on. It cast dreamy shadows across the dark, shrouded color palette of our sheets, and lent the ivory walls to a romantic sort of sheen.

I glanced over at the dress which hung neatly from the cherrywood armoire, placed back in its bag after I'd helped her try it on. The image of her before my enlarged body mirror, frozen as she stared at her ethereal reflection, briefly interrupted my mind—I forced a slow, drawn out exhale as I recalled the heavenly way it had cut her shape, though even as I closed my eyes to regain focus, I could still only perceive my very own angel clad in endless black silk and satin. I greatly anticipated the moment when I would dress her in those lovely fabrics again and decorate her body with diamonds and kisses.

Tearing my gaze from the intoxicating imagination, I looked instead upon her currently gentle appearance, and my features relaxed again as I held eye contact with her while unlatching my gages. The feathery lighting threw her endearing face into a haze, and it somehow made her innocent irises glint ever more beautifully. I couldn't form a coherent expression as I stared, absorbing all that I could from her—the soft flesh of her arms and legs were exposed in the black camisole and white sleep shorts she wore, and her hair was left untamed. I hardly realized I'd fully removed the turquoise earrings and placed them gingerly upon the bedside table in my daze, but the adoring way she appraised my body did not go unnoticed—her eyelids lowered as her line of sight lingered on my exposed torso.