Dead Kisses Go to Heaven

The first rule of being a Necromancer is: never bring back to life someone you love. You’ll end up having to kill them. And killing undead is not easy, especially when the one before you is the man you were going to spend the rest of your life with.

I watched Matt scuff around the apartment, growling as he let out a big yawn. He opened the fridge and from where I was sitting, I could see the dark blood stain that spread across his back. It looked like the outline of the African continent.

“Don’t aerobics instructors eat?” he grumbled disappointed by the bright vacuum inside the fridge.

“Only on Mondays.” I wiped a tear from my cheek with a swift gesture, thankful that the kitchen was lit only by the neon lights outside the window.

I needed a smoke and longingly gazed up to the cupboard where I kept my secret cigarette stash.

The sound of the fridge being shut snapped me out of my craving haze. Matt held up between his fingertips what I guessed was a withered tomato.

“This has got to be the nastiest thing I’ve found in your fridge so far. And that cucumber last week had hairs growing on it.” Matt threw the tomato into the trash and went on to inspect the cupboards.

That’s how it starts. The munchies. Matt had only a few hours left before he turned into a mindless, flesh eating zombie. Part of me hoped he’d be the exception to the rule. The other part of me knew I had to suck it up and stick to the plan.

Matt found an open box of cereal and dug his hand inside. He shoved a handful in his mouth and I could hear his sigh of relief.

“Hm, stale. Just the way I like ‘em,” he said putting the box away.

I laughed. He could always brightened things up with just a few words. Most of the times Matt didn’t even try.

Lacing my fingers with his, I pulled him out of the kitchen and into the bedroom.

“Let’s get some sleep,” I urged trying to keep my voice from quivering.

He followed me into bed and wrapped his long, strong arms around me. My eyes swelled up and tears burnt my cheeks. I couldn’t help a sniffle and his arms tightened their hold.

“Tell me your allergies are acting up.”

I hid my face in his chest and clung to his T-shirt.

Why hadn’t I stayed in that evening? If I had been home, Matt would have never been stabbed. But no, I had to go to that stupid girls’ night out. I didn’t even like half of them.

“You worried about the burglar? I told you we should call the police, or at least sleep at my place tonight.”

I tried to come up with a way to tell him the truth. Aside from the obvious, Matt, you’re actually dead, I had nothing.

“No, it’s not that. Well, it’s a bit of that. Just tell me, what do you remember exactly?”

“Er, you planning on catching the bad guys yourself, babe?” He chuckled and ran his hand along my back.

I closed my eyes, taking in the sensation aroused by his touch. I tried desperately to confine every detail of it to memory.

“I wish I’d remember something about the guy,” he said a little more serious now. “I just entered the bedroom, it was dark, and someone came at me from behind. I felt a sharp pain in my back. He must have hit me with something…” his words trailed off before he let out a, “Hmm, it just occurred to me.”

“What?” I lifted my head from his chest and looked at Matt. Except for his straight nose and big, blue eyes, he was but a gray mass in the dark.