Chapter One

"Lizzie!  Lizzie!" Jimmy stumbled down the underwater castle's steps, calling his sister's name.

Lizzie glanced back at him from the entrance.  "Yeah?" She asked, though she knew what he was going to say.  Always the goody-two-shoes of the family, the thirteen year old thought.  She loved her little brother, but he got really annoying.

"Come on, it's so early, why are you going out already?" He whined.  "Couldn't you at least dye my hair first?  It's already pink again!"

She rolled her eyes.  "Come on, bud.  You don't need it dyed yet.  Besides, what's so bad about pink hair?"

"I want blonde hair," the nine-year-old sighed.  Lizzie leaned against a wall, her axolotl fins pressing against her back.  

"I'll dye it when I get home," she offered.  Jimmy tipped his head.

"Promise?" He asked.  Lizzie nodded.

"Promise," she assured him.  Jimmy smiled.  

"When will you get back?" He asked.  Lizzie thought for a moment.

"Soon enough, maybe a few hours.  I think I'll explore the Mezalean Empire today!" She exclaimed.  Her brother paused.

"But it's so far away, and it's dry!" He argued.  

"Yeah, but I'll be fine, as long as I don't stay for too long," Lizzie said, ignoring the doubt that had started to seep through her mind.  "I'll be back in a few hours!" And then she swam through the doors, making her way to the surface.  She leapt from the water into the sand and glanced around.

I'll need to walk was the first thought that registered in her mind.  The empire that she longed to visit wasn't close to water.  But it was too late to turn back now.  She started trekking towards the Mezalean empire.

By the time she reached the warm clay of the Mesa, Lizzie was wincing from a stitch in her side, breathing hard, and dehydrated.  I've got to get to water, she thought desperately.  The half-axolotl glanced around, pushing her lavender hair from her eyes.  There wasn't any water in sight.

I'll go that way, she chose, going what might have been west.  She wasn't quite sure.  She started getting dizzy.

Water.

Water.

Water.

Her vision blurred and went white.

And then everything was dark.