(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟔) twisted fate

Start from the beginning

Athena was more than pleased about how her life had been since Hope had been born. She had wanted to savour the moments of being a mother forever but she knew she couldn't. There came a point when Athena had to face facts.

This war was killing people. Danger was all around and although she could shut up the doors in her cottage and ignore it, things weren't so easy for everyone else involved. Everyday that she ignored what she had to do, she felt a weight on her shoulders. Athena felt a sense of guilt as though she were prolonging the pain of everyone around.

It was people she cared about too. The Weasley's were all in hiding, waiting for all this to be over. Until it was over, Fred and George couldn't continue their business, Arthur couldn't get any money in for them, Molly couldn't see her oldest sons.

Athena thought about the students at Hogwarts. The Carrow's were torturing them, Snape was making the castle cold and cruel. Neville was injured having to hide to escape the pain that he was going through. This was all a product of the war.

Harry. He was out there risking his life constantly to bring this to an end. He was doing everything to save everyone else while Athena was sat in her home doing nothing. Harry's efforts wouldn't lead to anything unless Athena faced her fears and picked up a crystal ball. She knew he must be nearing the end of his quest. Somehow she just knew.

It was one afternoon when Hope was napping, Dominique and Remus were out shopping and Aurora was preparing dinner. Everything was perfect. The timing was right. Athena worried she would never get another chance like this.

She picked the crystal ball up from the bottom of her bag. Athena had hidden it's pearly glare under some of her clothes, hoping that she wouldn't be drawn to it's calling whispers. Even now she could hear it, as though a million futures were reaching out to be seen.

Athena held the crystal ball in her palms. It was cold, like a block of ice. She shivered as she held it.

As though the vision had been waiting for her all this time, images sprang to life. She saw the clouds in the ball twist into figures. She saw the colours of white turn dark. Athena stared into the future in fear. Never before had she been so scared to know what was to come.

The wisps manipulated into an image. Athena saw trees towering beyond her reach. They were in a forest. She was following someone. It took her a moment to realise it was Harry and her heart stared to race. He had walked into a clearing, surrounded by death eaters.

Even now as Athena watched the expression on Voldemort's face light up, she knew what was going to happen. She willed the vision to stop. She willed this to be the end. That way fate could be changed. However Harry walked slowly to meet his end. Athena could see that he had accepted it. He knew the truth. She doubted she would be able to tell him which meant that Snape had. She wondered if he'd enjoyed it.

"The boy who lived, come to die"

Tears filled Athena's eyes, she blinked them away so the vision came back into a sharp focus. Instead they traced her cheeks. It could still end before... she could still safe him.

"Avada Kedavra!"

Athena let out a soft gasp, green light flashed but before she could see the result of the spell, the vision ended. The crystal ball no longer held pictured of the future but instead retained a cloudy essence. Her heart was racing so fast, Athena felt that it could explode.

She hadn't seen the spell hit Harry. The light had flashed but there was no end. Fate had no yet foreseen what was to happen which meant that Athena's plan would still work.

There was a dull ache inside her, a million questions and too many reasons why she shouldn't go through with this. But it didn't matter. There was always ways around the problems. She would have to hope that people would understand why she did what she had to do.