17| 𝑵𝒐 𝑺𝒕𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑼𝒔 𝑵𝒐𝒘

Start from the beginning

"Happy Birthday, Rose

"Happy Birthday, Rose. I believe I gave you my word so here is a copy from my very own collection. Hope you like it," a letter inside the book read.

After we're done opening the rest of the gifts, I realize two people were missing.

"Where's Care and Freya? Don't tell me they actually missed midnight," I say and just then, we hear the front door open.

"You called and we're here!" Caroline struts into the living room with Freya following close behind. Frey had a big, blue basket in her hand, that she was cradling.

"You were out getting us gifts at midnight?" I ask as they settle in on one of the couches and Freya hands the basket to the kids.

"No, we were collecting for your kids so thank you very much," Caroline says and I frown.

"Collecting what?"

"This!" Lizzie springs up from her place and points to the basket, which was now in Hope's hands.

"What is it?" Alaric asks and the kids smirk.

"Why doesn't mom open it and find out?" Ryan says and Hope hands me the basket.

I exchange looks with Nik, who was sitting beside me all this time and he wears the same clueless look as Alaric while Freya, Caroline and the kids exchange knowing looks.

I open the basket lid and I swear my heart skips a beat at the sight of what's inside.

"Oh my god," I whisper, thunderstruck. I see Nik lean over my shoulder to get a good look inside the basket and as soon as he sees what's inside, he flinches and scoots a little away on the couch.

"You guys...got me a cat?" I ask them, shook.

"Yes we did! We found him at the shelter you used to volunteer at when we were little and we thought he was perfect, since you've always been such a cat person

"Yes we did! We found him at the shelter you used to volunteer at when we were little and we thought he was perfect, since you've always been such a cat person. Do you like it?" Lizzie asks, jumping up and down in excitement.

"Are you kidding me? I love him!" I exclaim as I gently pick up the kitten.

"Nik, look at how cute he is," I say as I hold the kitten out to him, causing him to back away even more.