Chapter 8 - 𝑨𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚

Start from the beginning

"Yupp, no compromising." [Y/n] agreed, backing away from his door.

"Alright." Senku opened the door to quickly grab his food and close it but [Y/n] was standing twelve feet away—with his food inside her hands.

The scientist brought his hand up to rub his temples in frustration. "That's not what I said."

"I know." She smiled.

Senku walked up to her to collect his food but she backed away. "Oops." She smiled even wider.

"Keep still." He walked up to her some more to snatch his food but she dodged him.

"Your reflexes are really slow Senku." [Y/n] continued to playfully provoke him.

"Yeah well, you're really slow." He retorted. "You know—mentally." He added on.

[Y/n] inhaled suddenly with her mouth agape from astonishment and Senku began to feel bad for the harsh words he spoke. Which in turn made him begin apologizing profusely. "Sorry, sorry, that was a bit much."

[Y/n] actually wasn't all that bothered by Senku's words. But because of the simple fact that he was apologizing so passionately and giving her all of this pitiful attention she broke down and began crying, hoping to get more of this acknowledgment.

Senku just stood there for a few seconds as he tried to process what the best course of action would be:

Should he go over there and comfort her so he wouldn't feel like a shitty person, or should he let her cry it out on her own so her heart would become hardened towards him?

It was a tough decision. Normally he'd go with the first option, but the second option meant that in turn she'd finally leave him alone because of her built hatred towards him.

With an exaggerated sigh he walked over to [Y/n]. Morals are morals, no matter the circumstance.

"Come on, let's go outside." Senku knew it would make her feel better.

[Y/n] stopped crying immediately. "Really?"

"You're faking it!" Senku called her out. Her tears completely dried up just like water inside the Sahara. He had no need to sympathize with her if her tears weren't even genuine.

[Y/n] rolled her eyes and wiped the remaining tears draining down her face. "It doesn't matter whether I'm faking or not."

"Yeah." Senku retorted, "It kind of does."

No," she corrected him, "it doesn't."

He didn't have the time to argue about it. "Are you lying to me—your soulmate?" Senku knew exactly which cards he should play for honest results.

[Y/n] went silent as her eyes awkwardly scanned the room, she was trying her best to look at anything but him. "Okay maybe, but it's just a small..little...tiny, white lie." It's not like she lied about her identity or anything like that. "And you love to boast about being my soulmate but you're not acting the part at all!" It was seriously bothering her.

Senku just shrugged. "Was there a contract? I don't think so." As far as he's concerned it's free game and anything goes. After all, she did say that she'd continue to love him whether he felt the same or not.

"Yeah, but you can at least play along once in a while?" A compliment or two from him wouldn't be so bad.

"I am playing along." Senku set things straight. "You're in my hotel room aren't you?" He could have just kicked her and all her delusion onto the streets, or in her case, into the harsh Outback.

"Yes, but-"

"But nothing." He got his food back. "Now be a good soulmate and leave me alone for the rest of the day."