chase you into the unknown

the promised neverland au no one asked for

───────────────

Touya drove him insane.

There was no first meeting, no icebreakers, no awkward moments where neither knew what to say. They lived in a peaceful orphanage, where every day was simply blissful with endless hide-and-seek games in the morning and writing letters to the adopted friends at night with questions of what the outside world was like.

They never questioned Mama Rei why their parents were so desperate to get rid of them when obviously from their perfect test scores, they could have been raised normally under a home. Because the orphanage was a perfect place that served wonderful food, a domestic household filled with life and joy; a small bubble for the children that lacked curiosity of what was beyond the white, steady fence.

They've known each other for as long as they can remember, and grew up with unsaid feelings through actions, an unspoken promise of going together and to end up in the same foster home.

Their friendship was unique, unlike their other relationships with the orphans. Their friendship was filled with constant arguments, banter, both verbal and physical fights, and sometimes soothing hugs late into the night.

It was when they turned fourteen did Keigo start to want more.

It was a weird feeling, like he was being pulled under a spell that made his cheeks hurt from grinning and his chest all fuzzy and warm. He felt his heart would burst from watching beautiful cerulean eyes, from feeling soft strands of white hair, from listening to his voice that spread a dangerous, intoxicating aura. 

Touya’s pretense became addicting, and it drove him insane.

It was when they turned fifteen when they learnt Touya would be adopted.

Well. Not that Keigo hadn’t noticed the big circle on the calendar with Touya’s name scribbled with a red marker. Not that he hadn’t noticed Touya’s complexion paled each time the date neared. Not that he hadn’t noticed Mama Rei’s heart wrenching sobs behind closed doors when she thought no one was listening. Not that he hadn’t noticed his own heart sinking with every day of the calendar crossed out.

But with the way Touya and Mama Rei acted, it was like Touya was nearing his death sentence, which had to be an exaggeration…

Still, he couldn’t keep his emotions in tact when he helped Touya pack his bag, the only light in the room being a candle that slowly dwindled into smaller flames with each passing minute.

“But- but you can’t just go,” Keigo hiccuped, wiping the endless tears that slipped on his reddened cheeks, “W-we promised! Tha- that Mama would l-let us go together…”

“Oh, Kei…” Touya let long, slender fingers intertwine with Keigo’s, his expression unreadable with a twinge of hurt. He planted his lips on Keigo’s forehead, and the blond’s breath hitched. Touya continued to press gentle kisses on Keigo’s face with a soothing voice, putting Keigo under an unknown spell that sent his heart haywire.

The illusion was broken and he was brought back to the surface when Touya pulled away. “I’m sorry. Please, don’t cry…”

Keigo only cried harder, because Touya never promised he would visit, never said he would write a letter, unlike all the other past children, and yet like them all the same.

───────────────