I bit the inside of my cheek, staring across the room at the mirror. Sweat drenched my shirt, my chest rising and falling as I stared. I guess I asked for that.

"I don't know what you mean," I murmured, and went back to what I was doing. Distracting myself.

"You either have some hefty death wish, or the hormones you had as a teenager are returning. Either way, I think medical attention is needed."

"You're dramatic," I muttered, with a shake of my head.

Nialls head appeared around the punching bag as I threw another hit. His arms wrapped around it just in time, stopping it from smacking him straight in the face. Shame.

"Nice face," he said, his eyes falling onto what I could only assume was a bruise now forming on my face from where Quinn decided to leave a mark. "What happened? Not like you to let anyone that close."

My jaw tightened. He was right, and I hated it. "I was distracted."

Niall furrowed his eyebrows. "Also not like you."

I didn't say anything, I let the reason for my distraction hang in the silence. We both knew the reason for my distraction, but I refused to say it aloud. I refused to admit that Annabeth Taylor was turning into too much of a distraction for me.

"You think you're going to be alright with this new position?"

"And why wouldn't I be?" I snapped, already getting irritated. "I can do my job just fine."

"I don't know about that," he said, his eyes darting to my bruise again. Instead of being worried, he smirked at me.

I glanced behind me, ready to knock his smile off his face. I took a breath, trying to find some fucking calmness within myself. "Where's Liam?"

"Cleaning up," he said with a shrug. "He took a beating."

I frowned. "Again? What's with him lately?"

"Distractions. Seems to be common around here."

"You're a prick, you know that?" 

"Of course I do," he hummed. As if to prove a point, he shoved the punching bag forward, knocking it into my shoulder. "Maybe this little crush will make you nicer to me. You're awfully bitter."

I bit down on my tongue, ripping off the gloves as I did. "Friends or not, I'll break your hands if you keep this up."

Niall's only response was to laugh. "You don't scare me. You look like a rapid dog baring your teeth like that."

In typical Niall nature, his cold fingers came closer until he tapped my cheek with his palm. "Down puppy."

I wish I didn't love him like a brother. If I didn't, he would be six feet under with no fingers attached to his palm. I shoved him away, turning my back as I peeled off the sweat covered shirt.

"Where's the money?" I asked over my shoulder when I knew my anger wouldn't be tested again.

Cool, calm and collected. I needed to remind myself of that. "Liam," he answered coolly, his own fingers tapping on the punching bag. "His bringing it up."

I glanced at the door, hearing nothing but the silence of a quiet apartment. "Message him. Tell him to be careful, and not to let Annabeth see him."

Niall rose an eyebrow. "You don't have a phone?"

God, I could snap his neck. I shot him a glare, shoving his shoulder as I walked passed him. "Don't be a prick. Just do it. I have to take a shower."

Niall was a lot of things, but I knew I could always count on him. He knew how little Anna knew about what dark secrets her brothers hid from her, and he wouldn't to be the reason why she found out. It was dangerous enough having her in this house, where too many secrets could be uncovered, it would be even worse if she saw Liam carrying up a duffel bag full of money. Her questions would be endless until the answers were given.

Despite his grumbled profanities, Niall did what he was told, and I couldn't help but smirk a little at that.

Walking into my room, it was almost as if the hours I stood pounding my frustrations into the punching bag were non-existent. I felt the fire rise in my chest at the sight of Annabeth wrapped in caccoon of blankets. There was nothing sexual about her position, though she still looked deliriously inviting.

I swallowed thickly as I stared at the beautiful woman, hating how much she truely looked like royalty. I don't know why my chest felt tight as I thought of how true the hierarchy of this world was and how we were on different ends of it.

I shook my head, trying to rid the very thought. I was thankful that in that moment, my phone decided to vibrate against my leg, forcing me to dig it out of my pocket.

I frowned as I read the message, though tucked it away with a quick response.

Reluctantly, I made my way to the sleeping beauty that was sprawled across my bed, looking more comfortable than I'd rather admit.

"Wake up, Princess," I muttered as I gently shook her shoulder. The word wasn't one of endearment, Princess was the way I mocked her. Mocked her status. Mocked her wealth.

Sleepy eyes slowly came too, and I found myself staring into the honey of them. "Family meeting," I murmured just as she opened her mouth. "Get up, and get ready. We can't be late."

And with that, I was out the door, practically bulldozing Niall over in the process as I made my way to the shower. I didn't know how much longer I could be around her without dropping to my knees and offering her everything I had.

AN:

Happy update!!!!
Small update to get back into the groove of writing, can't wait for everyone to read what's going to happen!!!

THE TAYLORS [H.S]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें