"I don't like it okay?" He yelled, causing everyone inside the shop to stare, Orla trying to cover her ears from the sudden noise. "Its too greasy! It's much, much too greasy! Even the smell of it makes me feel physically sick!"

Maeve rubbed a hand over her face. She did feel bad for James, knowing that this situation wasn't the easiest. However, the look of pure anger that washed over Fionnula was something she had never seen, nor wanted to see again in the future.

"I'm- I'm sorry you had to hear that, Fionnula" Michelle said, trying ever so hard to reconcile with the woman, but there was no fixing this. Michelle turned to look at her cousin, seeping with emotion. "You're a fucking embarrassment"

"Get him out of here!"

James spun quickly and exited the shop, everyone inside letting out a little breath once he left. Jesus, it was tense.

Maeve watched as the group went back to their usual conversations, completely disinterested in James or what has just happened. Looking out the window she was the boy sat on a ledge of a nearby wall out the front, a sad look on his face.

"I'll be right back".

Being the person she was, Maeve couldn't just let James sit out there by himself upset for god knows how long, so that's why she decided to join him and let one of the girls tell her when her order was ready.

The air was crisp at Maeve left the shop, the girl pulling her jacket around her body tighter. He heart pounded as she made her way over to the boy, quickly racking her mind on what to say.

"You right?" 

James' head rose at the sound of a voice, his face lighting up slightly as the sight of Maeve. The boy's eyes twinkled under the moonlight, Maeve only just catching it. James fiddled with his hands as he moved over and patted the spot next to him so the girl could sit down, embarrassed from his little show inside of the fish 'n' chip shop.

"I kinda got a bit upset didn't I?" He laughed, not wanting to meet Maeve's eyes.

"Aye, that you did" she smiled, her head turning to look at James even though he wouldn't dare look at her. Maeve was analysing his body language closely. Something she did with everyone when trying to comfort them, and gauge what to say next. "I don't blame you though".

The Maguire boy finally looked up to meet her eyes at what was being said, not expecting to hear those words— even though Maeve was the nicest out of the whole friend group.

"We kinda ganged up on you. I would've done the same".

"You would?" James asked, a hopeful look in his eyes.

"No probably not".

The pair laughed at what Maeve had said, sitting in a comfortable silence as they stared at each other, blissfully unaware of the confused yet disgusted stares coming from the rest of their friend group from inside The Chippy. Maeve placed her hand on the boys' own as it sat in his lap, a rosiness splashing across both their cheeks. James went to open his mouth to reply but he stopped himself at Maeve's next words. His heart lurching in both silent disappointment and warmth.

"But, it's what I'd say to a good friend"

It was the next day and Maeve was excited to meet up with her friends at Erin's house.

They had all planned to meet later in the night after receiving a rather frantic call from Michelle, but poor Maeve was not allowed out of the house that late— no matter how much she begged her Mammy and tried to pay off her Ma to take the heat for her.