We went inside the building where the press conference would take place. I followed Violet down the halls, seeing various staff members here and there. After passing a couple of doors, Violet stopped and abandoned me. I needed to go through another door by myself to end up in a room packed to the brim, dozens of journalists everywhere.

I sat down behind a long table, in between Daniel Ricciardo -Australia's favourite- and Lewis Hamilton. Next to Lewis sat Sebastian Vettel and fellow rookie Nicolas Latifi. I was glad I didn't have to sit with anyone else. I hated people, especially reporters. They always wanted to talk about something else, usually I couldn't keep up with them. Even though I loved racing, I didn't particularly enjoy all the attention it brought and preferred to be alone when I could manage it

'I need to stop thinking like this,' I told myself.

After a while, the press conference started. The announcer spoke up, introducing everyone to each other and explaining what was happening, which made sense. That was when it came to interviews, and everyone started asking questions.

"Matilda Sullivan." Someone from the crowd shouted. My heart was beating so fast and I could feel my stomach start to knot itself in anticipation. I talked to cameras before, but this was Formula One, and there was much at stake. It was nerve-wracking, but hopefully it wouldn't last that long. "How come are you the most disliked driver in Formula One? Why is that?" A man questioned, he leaned forward in his chair as he watched me carefully.

"I don't know, I guess people have different opinions about me," I answered honestly. "Some are kind of sexist, others hate me for my driving style." I tried to smile, but these questions stung. It only confronted me with the fact I wasn't well-liked here among the fans. It caused pain, but I could handle it. I was used to it by now. I shrugged. "Some people think I'm too reckless and maybe I sometimes am. Mostly I'm just as careful as any other driver though, I don't mean to put anyone's life at risk."

I continued to speak, answering more tiring questions. Most were simple things that I could answer easily enough without making myself seem stupid or desperate. I was tired of talking to people, but I forced myself to stay awake to look good. When the press conference ended and most of the reporters and photographers had gone, I finally felt the weight on my chest lighten a little. I breathed heavily as I rested my elbows on the table and rubbed my eyes.

"The first year can be quite overwhelming," Sebastian spoke once everyone had left the room, everyone but us. I expected Violet to be waiting in the hallway. "But it will get better."

I smiled faintly at him, still exhausted. "I suppose it does, yeah," I said quietly.

He nodded, giving me a warm smile. "You know, Matilda," he began. I raised an eyebrow and looked at him quizzically, waiting for him to continue. "You're one of the best drivers in the world, and everyone knows it."

I laughed a little, nodding at him. I knew I was amazing. "Thanks, Seb," I said simply. He was right, I was good at driving, and I had been for a while now. The only reason Alpha Tauri signed me.

"Just take care of yourself, Matilda," he said. I gave him a small smile. I grabbed my stuff and left the room with him. We parted ways when I ran into a waiting Violet.

"Have fun?" She asked me, smirking slightly.

"Yeah, it was interesting," I commented with a smile as I followed her through the building, towards the Alpha Tauri hospitality. It wasn't far.

She nodded too. "Yeah, that's what happens when you meet new people. Especially Australians," she said amusedly. I laughed, shrugging my shoulders. It didn't matter if it were true or not. It wasn't anything bad either way.

I was pretty sure my sister enjoyed my company. She never admitted it, but I knew she did. Otherwise, she wouldn't have offered to be my temporary manager. Violet and I weren't that close during our childhood, our parents didn't give her much attention after I was born, and for a long while I thought she hated me. Only after Nova was born, our youngest sibling, when I was in my early teenage years, they focused on her only, meaning Violet and I only had each other, though that didn't hit off well either. I was busy with karting most of the time and Violet was studying, making it hard for us to hang out, and when we had time we preferred to go to our friends. Anything but home. But eventually, we became closer. Violet and I bonded, and even liked each other.

Now she was my best friend, though I would deny it if anyone ever asked me.

Violet and I reached the Alpha Tauri building, entering through the front door to head inside. There were so many people in the lobby already, I almost missed the sound of someone calling out my name.

"Tilly!" There was only one person who called me that unironically. I looked around, hoping to see that person, but he was nowhere to be found. I glanced over and frowned at Vi, who was looking around with a frown too. We turned and found ourselves face to face with Pierre. His face lit up instantly upon seeing us.

I raced against Pierre since childhood, so I found it amazing to have him as my teammate. He was one of the few people I tolerated, and I actually enjoyed his presence. Although he annoyed me at times, he was funny and extremely talented. Not to mention he was really handsome, which also annoyed me sometimes, but it wasn't anything serious. I just couldn't help but notice.

"Oh, hi!" I greeted politely, a slight smile appearing on my face. Pierre grinned, then told me it was nice to see me again. I chuckled at his enthusiasm. "It's nice to see you too." He was one of the people closest to me, but I wasn't sure if I could call him a friend, I could simply conclude I didn't have many friends, just people I liked to be around.

"I watched your press conference earlier," he said, smiling proudly. "I love how you handled yourself during it, you seemed to do fine."

"I was freaking out!" I admitted. "My heart was racing and I was sweating like crazy. I had no clue what I was doing but we made it through."

"You were brilliant," he assured me.

I thanked him, blushing lightly. He was always awfully nice to me and that annoyed me, because it made me feel weird. I didn't know how to react, I wasn't used to it.

"I'll leave you two alone," Violet sighed deeply. She had been watching us and she was obviously bored of being stuck here talking with Pierre for a while. She walked away. I wasn't sure whether to follow her or not, with Vi I never knew what she wanted.

"Do you want to get some coffee?" Pierre suggested. "I mean we're teammates now and we should probably get to know each other better, for team dynamics and all of that."

I paused, thinking. "Sure, let's go get coffee." I agreed easily. I liked the idea of getting to know him better. Maybe we could become friends or something,

"Great!" Pierre exclaimed, grinning widely and clasping his hands together, clearly excited to get some coffee. "This will be fun, Tilly."

"Yes, it will," I replied with a smile. "Let's go then."

~A/N~
Congrats, you made it through the first chapter. I'd appreciate it if you show your support by commenting and voting, or let me know what you think of the chapter and the characters. I'm still figuring this writing thing out a bit, so please correct me for my mistakes :)
That was it for now, lots of love, Daisy.