(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟒) mclaggen's mistake

Start from the beginning

Since entering her thirties, Athena still had maintained this trouble with sleeping but it had been nowhere near as bad as she once remembered it being. Now she wasn't as familiar with the patterns of the night sky through her bedroom window although she could still recount the stars with her eyes closed. She guessed that was one thing she was grateful for. Insomnia had brought her closer to the stars. She supposed it had paved her future in a way.

Snape seemed to be doing nothing since the discussion he had shared with Athena. It infuriated her. Athena couldn't talk to Draco herself. She was on the other side after all and Draco would know immediately that his plan wasn't so secret.

She was relying on Snape but turns out the new defence against the dark arts teacher was a terrible person to put faith into. Athena thought he would be more motivated to help since his life was on the line but so far he hadn't made any progress in talking to Draco.

Athena spent her days stalking the corridors, looking out for a sign that another one of Draco's plans had gone wrong. She was on edge, dangerously so. She hoped she'd be able to stop a catastrophe before it happened but without knowing what Draco's plan was, there was nothing she could do.

☽☽☽

Athena was perfectly happy spending her days inside, marking work and stressing about things that might not even happen. However on one rather sunny weekend towards the end of March, Aurora decided that her sister couldn't spend all of her days hiding away from the sun.

"We're going to watch the quidditch game" Aurora stated simply, "you love quidditch, Harry's playing"

Athena hadn't been intending to go mainly because she didn't want the distraction. The more her mind worked on the problems at hand the closer it came to creating her own solution. Athena believed she could sort everything out if she was just given the time. That was the thing with Ravenclaw's, they never encountered a problem they believed they couldn't fix.

"I'm not sure" Athena muttered but it seemed her sister wasn't taking no for an answer.

Therefore, half an hour later they were heading across the pitch to see the Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff game. The Gryffindor quidditch team had taken another hit when their keeper was nearly poisoned. That put Katie Bell and Ron Weasley out of action.

Dean Thomas was still standing in for Katie and Athena had heard that Cormac McLaggen was the temporary keeper for Ron. Athena didn't know much about McLaggen except for the fact he was in the Slug club and had the reputation of being a bit full of himself.

Aurora had taught him more recently but she never created personal bonds with her students the way Athena did. Athena would ask them questions about their holidays or their weekends rather than bombarding them with work. Aurora was task orientated. She made plans for her lessons which she intended to stick to which left no time for small talk.

They made it into their seats at the back of the stands and looked over the pitch. Athena kept glancing back up at the castle, wondering whether she could leave early. She loved supporting Harry of course but right now she was doing more to protect him than he was aware of. Aurora seemed to notice her nervous glances and hooked her sisters arm with her own as though telling her she couldn't leave. Watching this game was good for her.

The two teams walked out over the pitch. One side in scarlet red and the other in bright canary yellow.

Harry shook hands with the Hufflepuff Captain, and then, on Madam Hooch's whistle, the team kicked off and rose into the air. Harry immediately soared higher than the rest of his team, streaking around the pitch in search of the Snitch.