ix . thousand tiny lights

Start from the beginning

   Striding out into the clear, cloudless night, Ruby's words got stuck in her throat. Stars and a sparkling full moon enlightened the grounds, but they were not the only ones. There were about what seemed like a thousand fireflies dancing around the platform of the tower, taking Ruby's breath away. Never had she seen something like that, and she was pretty sure that this was no common firefly-like behaviour. Almost she forgot about Peeves. But even though the surroundings where lit enough to see everything around her, Peeves wasn't there.

   "Peeves?!", she once more whispered into the night, but there was no answer. Stepping closer to the ballustrade, she carefully leaned over, gazing down — and immediately regretted it, as her head started spinning and she felt an uncomfortable tingling in the pit of her tummy. "Peeves!"

   "Are you looking for something?"

   The amused voice behind her had her flinching so hard, she almost fell over the ballustrade. But two strong hands had placed on each side of her waist, holding her tight.

   Ruby turned around with a racing heart hammering in her throat, ocean blue eyes locking with chocolate brown. Fred was smirking from ear to ear as he watched her cheeks flushing pink.

   "Had a rough week, huh?", he chuckled, and Ruby looked down at her feet. She'd done everything for two weeks now to not have to be faced with Fred Weasley after this embarrassing moment at Grimmauld Place. His hands still on her waist seemed to burn through her clothes, suddenly she felt uncomfortable hot waves cascading down her body.

   "It was ... uncommon", she finally muttered, cracking a small smile, while her eyes still fixed Fred's shoes. "If you don't mind, I'll try to find my bag and finally go to b—"

   "You mean this one?" Fred nodded to the entrence to the staircase, where Ruby's bag was lying as if it'd never done anything else.

   "Oh — oh, yes", Ruby chuckled. "Peeves had it stolen from me. I — I better go now ..."

   She wriggled out of Fred's soft touch and squeezed past him.

   "Oh, I know", Fred said, and Ruby froze in motion. "That's what I told him to do."

   "W—what?" Once more her eyes were locked with Fred's.

   "We need to talk."

   For sure they did. For days they hadn't even spoken a single word, and it was no wonder that Fred didn't take this just like that.

   Ruby sighed. "Fine. Quick and painless, if I please."

   "What are you talking about?" When Ruby looked up, she found him staring at her with a tilted head and a cocked eyebrow.

   "You — erm — nothing. Just go on", the Hufflepuff stammered.

   Fred looked at her for a moment longer, and suddenly he roared with laughter. "Oh Merlin", he cackled. "Ruby Rose Perks, did you think I'm breaking up with you?"

   "I — umm — well, I — kind of ..."

   He strode towards her with long steps, still this cheshire cat grin on his freckled face, until he again was close to her. Fred bowed down until his face was the same height as hers.

   "Do you really think I'd conjur hundreds of fireflies in this romantic nightsky just to tell you I'll leave you?"

   "You did this?", Ruby's eyes widened.

   "You always loved them", Fred said, now smiling softly. "Ruby, I'm sorry. When you told me at Grimmauld Place that — you know — I was a bit overwhelmed. More than a bit. See, you were so flustered, and I wasn't sure if you really meant what you said, or if you just told me because you were hurt and kinda lost."

   "Well, I meant it", she mumbled, tucking at the sleeves of her hoodie.

   "I was an idiot", Fred snorted. "It's not like you're not already used to it, but let me tell you I'm sorry. The answer I have given you was more than stupid. Even for me."

   "It's okay", Ruby sighed, finally looking straight into his eyes again. "If you don't feel the, it's okay."

   "That's the point. I do feel the same." And Frederick Weasley flicked his wand; thousands of fireflies shot through the air like glowing bullets, with no aim as it seemed. But they clustered together, shining brighter than the moon in a big ball, before they took another transformation, and the second time this night Ruby's lips parted in awe, as against the nightsky and high above the grounds of Hogwarts all those little glimming bugs told her,

I love you!

   "And to be honest, I think I did for all my life", he whispered, placing his lips onto hers, as the fireflies bursted out of their formation and thousands tiny lights floated towards the forest.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

you are so down to earth
& I'm up in the stars ...