go on and kiss the girl

Start from the beginning

she didn't even have a chance to grab her things before she left.

i stood in front of her apartment door, having triple-checked the address in her paperwork and with lev. i rocked back and forth on my heels, looking around the complex floor. a few noises came from inside the apartment, but none signaled that she was moving toward the door. hell, i couldn't even be sure that it was from behind this door.

'was she even home? should i knock again?' i wondered as another minute passed. a more pressing question i should have asked myself was: what the hell was i even doing here?

i should have at least texted her to let her know that i was stopping by. i had her number. i had her email address. i could've used either of these to let her know. instead, the moment the clock struck five, i grabbed her things along with mine and rushed over here.

'what if she had company over?'

what if her friends were over, consoling her about what happened today? i let out a noise of worry, quickly running a hand through my hair in a futile effort of fixing it. i had to put my best foot forward. what would her friends think if they saw a slob for her boss? i couldn't let that ruin my reputation.

it was a small world after all.

two minutes later–finally–she huffed as she threw open the door, slamming it against the wall with the sheer amount of force. pulling it back nearly-shut, she leaned against the doorway, using her arm to block a further look into the apartment. she grinned, trying to fix her messy hair as i glanced down at her.

and what a sight. she had no pants on. my eyes widened before i covered them, turning around to look away. i mean, i am a true gentleman.

"(y/n)," a male voice called out. "how do i look?"

she looked back at the voice, giving it a thumbs up.

"you can put your pants back on, you know. these fit fine, so no need to worry about me."

my brow furrowed. 'who was she pantless with? why wasn't it me?'

the door drifted open to reveal iwaizumi hajime, the ace from aoba johsai. why the hell was she with this guy? shouldn't oikawa be here to cockblock this?

"okay!" she grinned, taking the proffered pants and quickly pulling them on.

"um," i hesitated, "you forgot this." i held out her bag.

"oh, thanks!" her hand brushed against mine briefly as she reached for her purse. after another wide grin with her eyes pulling into half-crescents, she shut the door in my face.

i stood there in shock. this...wasn't what i was expecting to happen. i had hoped for an invite in, maybe a talk over some drinks. i would offer her my shoulder if she needed to cry about the events of the day. things would progress naturally and–

the door opened again.

"we were about to watch a movie; do you want to come in?" she offered, stepping to the side in a silent invitation into her apartment.

"sure, but i can't stay long. i've got kenma waiting for me at home."

like a vampire now with a proper invite, i stepped through the doorway. kicking off my shoes, i walked in and settled on the couch. (y/n) brought me a bottle of water, and i thanked her before slouching comfortably into the plush seat. on the opposite end, iwaizumi mirrored my actions.

it seemed that i had some competition tonight.

"is the little mermaid okay?" she asked, looking at both of us.

iwaizumi smiled with a nod, putting his arm on the back of the couch behind her. i copied the move, noting what an odd image we made if anyone were to stumble upon this scene. with me in work clothes, painfully overdressed compared to iwaizumi and (y/n), it was like an odd sandwich in which the crust was only cut off of one slice of bread but remained on the other. (and we all knew which one was better.)

i leaned in closer to (y/n). "it's my favorite movie," i whispered in what i hoped to be a seductive tone. something that would remind her of our first meeting.

she shivered and moved away from me a little. okay, maybe i came on too strong there.

'ten points from nekoma, putting me in the negative.'

* * * * * * * * * * *

somewhere in the middle–between 'kiss the girl' and ursula's reveal as vanessa, as far as i registered–she dozed off.

her head was tilted back against the couch as she slept with her mouth open, softly snoring. she sounded like she would've choked on her spit at any moment. i leaned over, brushing hair from her face. in case she needed CPR, we were now both prepared.

iwaizumi caught onto my actions, slapping away my hand. he shook his head firmly, mouthing 'stop it, get some help.' i pouted in response but moved away anyway.

but the true pain came soon after. it was worse than being stabbed with a number two pencil (approved for advanced placement testing) when she chose his shoulder over mine. i turned away from the sight, crossing my arms over my chest like a child throwing a tantrum. the last thing i saw before i did, however, was a smug grin on iwaizumi's face, thinking he had won.

but he hadn't seen the last of me yet.