Chapter Fifteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

“That’s exactly what it makes me,” I snapped.  My arms were screaming, but somehow, the pull-ups came easier.  Mr. Hughes added more resistance.  “When I’m halfway around the world running ops, I can’t afford to be predictable.  And now Finn’s kicking my ass and Will’s been beating me at Running Rats every time.  Charles can sprint faster than me and Eddie can run more distance and I’m just…” The words didn’t come.  I couldn’t quite find the right one.

“Just what, Virgo?”

“A girl!” I hollered at him, letting myself fall far too quickly.  My shoulders stretched as they caught my weight.  “I’m just a stupid little girl.  A girl who lost at Running Rats and Capture the Flag and… and… I’m always losing.”

I don’t know how many pull-ups I did in that moment, but if the pain shooting through my arms was any indication, it was a lot.  “Hop down, Goode.”

“What?”

“Hop.  Down.”

I wasn’t going to, but then Mr. Hughes pulled me down, so I tried to act cool as if it had been my idea from the very start.  He crossed the room, grabbing a water bottle from the first-aid station and tossing it to me.  The water seemed to sparkle as it arched across the room, a powerful snap echoing off the walls as it hit my hand.  It occurred to me that we were completely alone in that room.  Completely free to say whatever we wanted.

The bottle crackled and popped as I twisted it open, extinguishing the flames in my throat as I took a gulp.  Then another.  I drank too much water, but I couldn’t stop.  How long had it been since I stopped for a drink?

“Have a seat, Virgo,” Mr. Hughes said, finding a spot among the mats.  He slapped the spot next to him and I followed his orders, my grandfather’s warning strong in my mind.  Other people stop.  “Let’s have a chat.”

I took another glug of water as I sat.  The bottle was nearly empty already.  “Look Mr. Hughes.  This is nice and all, but—”

“Sit down, Goode.”

“Yes sir.”

He pulled his knew up to his chest, wrapping his arms around it.  He looked like he belonged on the cover of a magazine somewhere and yet, he was still so easy to talk to.  He always had been.  “What’s this nonsense about being a girl?” he asked.

I recalled my stats.  How it felt being at the bottom of the list day after day, my best only making up the worst.  “My whole life, I’ve been told that girls are just as capable as boys and I believed it.  I believed it because the only boy that was ever around was Matt and I always just assumed that whatever advantage he had was because he was two years older than me, but that’s not the truth, is it?”  I shook my head, not daring to look him in the eye.  “Boys are stronger and faster.  I see it in the stats every day.  I see it in the way Finn O’Reilly knocks me down—they’re better.”

“Finn is an exceptional fighter,” he assured me.  “You can’t compare yourself to him.”

“Okay, but what about Will or Bill?” I asked, every single name ranked above me coming back to me.

“They’ve both had years of extra practice.  Virgo, I assure you that whatever disadvantage you’re at, it’s because of your status in the Gathering and not your status as an agent.”

“Listen Mr. Hughes—”

“You’re frustrated,” he cut me off.  I saw him look down at the ground as if maybe an answer would be waiting down there and he could simply scoop it up and give it to me.  But it wasn’t that easy.  We both knew it.  “I’ve asked you to take on a big challenge.  Some of these boys have years on you and it’s going to take practice to catch up with them—this has nothing to do with your ability to grow facial hair.”