(𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐞 𝟓) the cursed necklace

Start from the beginning

☽☽☽

Athena had expected fallout from the plan. Specifically Draco's mission. Dumbledore had seen this coming too which is why he asked Snape to help Draco in the first place. Ensuring that no one got caught in the crossfire.

Unfortunately the following week it seemed this plan had failed and the worst fears had come to light. McGonagall and Athena were strolling the halls and discussing how to improve results (which would usually be Aurora's job if she had not been busy teaching) when they heard thunderous footsteps pounding up the stairs.

Turning in surprise, Athena and McGonagall saw Hagrid running towards them with a girl lain in his large arms. Athena recognised her immediately. She was Katie Bell from Gryffindor. Her dark hair lying limp, her face turned to the ceiling pale and ghostly.

"What on earth had happened?" McGonagall gasped.

"Looks like she was cursed" Hagrid grunted, "got to get 'er to the hospital wing, 'Arry knows more"

"Harry?" Athena asked in exasperation. Why was it always Harry?

The two teachers hurried down the stairs into the great hall to see five students standing around. Harry, Ron and Hermione (which could of course be expected), a girl Athena presumed to be Katie's friend based on her scared expression and to Athena's surprise, Eleanor Lupin.

"What are you doing here?" Athena asked Elle immediately.

"I was having an occlumency lesson with Snape" she explained, "when I walked out, I saw it happen"

"Miss Lupin you accompany Katie to the hospital wing, I shall see you there shortly" McGonagall said straight away. Elle nodded quickly before she disappeared up the entrance hall steps.

"Hagrid says you four saw what happened to Katie Bell—upstairs to my office at once, please! What's that you're holding, Potter?"

"It's the thing she touched," said Harry.

"Good Lord," said Professor McGonagall, looking alarmed as she took the necklace from Harry. "No, no, Filch, they're with me!" she added hastily, as Filch came shuffling eagerly across the entrance hall holding his Secrecy Sensor aloft. "Take this necklace to Professor Snape at once, but be sure not to touch it, keep it wrapped in the scarf!"

Harry and the others followed Professor McGonagall upstairs and into her office. The sleet-spattered windows were rattling in their frames, and the room was chilly despite the fire crackling in the grate. Professor McGonagall closed the door and swept around her desk to face Harry, Ron, Hermione, and the still sobbing friend of Katie's who was apparently named Leanne.

"Well?" she said sharply. "What happened?"

Haltingly, and with many pauses while she attempted to control her crying, Leanne told Professor McGonagall how Katie had gone to the bathroom in the Three Broomsticks and returned holding the unmarked package, how Katie had seemed a little odd, and how they had argued about the advisability of agreeing to deliver unknown objects, the argument culminating in the tussle over the parcel, which tore open. At this point, Leanne was so overcome, there was no getting another word out of her.

"All right," said Professor McGonagall, not unkindly, "go up to the hospital wing, please, Leanne, and get Madam Pomfrey to give you something for shock."

When she had left the room, Professor McGonagall turned back to Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"What happened when Katie touched the necklace?"