"Fine," Brenda replies, crossing her arms. We stand, feeling defensive. Teresa stands next to Brenda, frowning. 

"Did you get enrolled already?" Isaac asks. Brenda nods. I feel Sonya stiffen. She does that nearly every time Isaac speaks. His voice sounds a little like Newts.

"We're early for school by 15 minutes," Minho states. Scott nods. 

"You okay?" Sonya says under her breath, nudging me. I nod, wrapping my arm tighter around her.

"Just thinking," I reply quietly. Sonya nods slightly, squeezing my hand. 

"So, Brenda" Lydia starts. "do you have your memories?" she asks. Brenda's face sours as she shakes her head. 

"Are you 17 too?" Malia asks. Brenda nods. 

"Do you know if anyone else is alive?" Sonya asks Brenda gently. Brenda shrugs. I rub her arm, feeling her discomfort.  Brenda looks at me, glum. I give her a small, thin smile. Brenda looks at me for a second longer before turning to Teresa. 

Teresa subconsciously wraps her arm around her waist, as if on muscle memory. Brenda silently does the same. It's like they are one person, molding into each other without thinking about it. 

I used to have that with Newt. We were unstoppable. We were connected. 

I shivered, massaging my temples. Sonya looks at me with concern. I wave it off. 

Minho frowns in my direction but says nothing. 

Scott is talking with Malia and Isaac about something While Lydia tries to make conversation with Teresa and Brenda. Brenda is silent, watching Teresa with a fond look. Teresa answers and talks to Lydia, mostly just listening and nodding. 

I'm surrounded by Minho and Sonya, both looking at me. 

"You're not okay Thomas," Sonya says gently. I sigh. "What's bothering you?" she asks. I shrug.

"I keep thinking of Newt, he's always on my mind" I admit. Sonya smiles gently. 

"I know Thomas, trust me" she replies. "You rethink his death and the small memories you have with him and then remember that it's not real anymore," she states. I nod. 

"That's normal Shank, I think of them all, every day" Minho promises. I nod to him. 

"It's like I'm in space, zero gravity." I sigh, my brow creases. "I'm about to float away from everything, but Newt and you always pull me down," I add. Minho steps closer to me, talking in a low voice. 

"You're not a monster Thomas, I get it," he states. "I feel like I'm on a tightrope, slowly losing my balance and falling into a pit of nothingness," he admits. "I'm still falling, even now" he adds. "But, you and Newt always manage to catch my hands before I go over the edge," he whispers. "Newt's gone, but you're still holding my hand, you're what keeps me sane" he pressed. I nod. 

"We help each other, we're family" I promise. "I'll never let your hand go if you promise to pull me down every time I drift," I hold out my hand. Minho nods, shaking my hand in his firm. 

"Deal," he replies. I nod and pull my hand away. Minho nods at me ad glances at the clock. 

"5 minutes till school's open," he states. We nod and get ready. There are other students now, talking and laughing. Some are finishing homework and others are doing god knows what. 

A couple minutes pass, and the bell rings. I sigh and check my schedule. 

"Biology," I mutter. Teresa and Brenda grin.