Good Fences Make Good Neighbours

Start from the beginning

"Oh, I guess you missed him this morning," you commented with a lopsided smile. "Don't know when he'll be back though."

"God I'm sorry," mumbled the other, his head shrinking slightly in his built shoulders.

"No need, he warned me about his neighbors. I just never knew you had the keys to his place."

"Heh, it took a while for that level of trust, believe me," explained his partner with a grin. "Oh, sorry for the rudeness, name's Rainmaker, and this is Sol."

"G'day," spoke Sol, raising his hand to greet you yet his eyes peeked from his downturned gaze.

You looked between the two, mulling over Sero's note, but also recalling a certain conversation you overheard months ago at that reunion you gatecrashed. You smiled at the thought. Maybe you'd have a little fun while you stayed in his apartment, knowing his neighbours had no inkling about your true identity at least.

"Rainmaker?" You questioned, eyeing the man with a raised teasing brow. "I doubt that's what your parents called you."

Chuckles "Well, I don't know your name, and you'd probably have heard of my Hero moniker," explained Rainmaker with a haughty grin.

"Actually, I've only heard it once, but if I hadn't I wouldn't know who you were."

Sol chuckled at your response, only receiving a slightly frustrated sigh from Rainmaker. You could judge their personalities like open books for you to peruse, yet your curiosity was still piqued about their significance, especially for your own investigations.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what did you need Sero for?" You asked curiously, leaning on the doorframe.

"Well, uh..." Sol's voice trailed while he collected his thoughts, wary of asking a stranger for a request, let alone one that was dressed in his neighbour's clothes.

"Hey, it's okay, you don't need to tell me," you reassured him.

"Sol wanted to ask Sero about a friend of his," continued Rainmaker.

"Only because of work. He's one of my clients," explained Sol in kind.

"Oh, snooping around for some dirt?" You asked teasingly.

"Not like that mate. I just wanted to make sure he gets the best sessions at work," continued Sol.

"Besides, I'm more curious how you came to be here," interrupted Rainmaker with a sly look in his eye.

You stared at the man's forwardness, knowing what kind of game he was playing with a smirk of your own. "Sero and I have known each other for a good half year now."

"Wait a minute, really? We hardly hear anything from the guy."

"It's an on and off kinda thing."

"Babe, stop snooping around," groaned Sol, embarrassed of Rainmaker's forwardness. "It was nice meeting you.... Uh..."

"Oh, sorry, my name is-"

"What's going on?"

All three of you froze, turning towards the sound of the voice to find Sero standing by the apartment railing, in his Pro-Hero outfit, his eyes widening at the sight.

"Hi Sero!" you happily greeted, waving towards the Hero while he approached the group by his front door. "Sol here was-" Suddenly his hand reached out for yours, pulling you back into his apartment while standing between yourself and his neighbours. It shocked you to see how panicked he looked behind that cool facade he wore.

"Sorry guys, I need to speak with them for a bit," he explained, now standing in the doorframe.

"Whoa, hey, chill," spoke Rainmaker, a little confused by Sero's sudden over-protectiveness. "We were just getting to know each other."