16 | out a window

Start from the beginning

"Alright," Sam said, taking Valeria's hand in his. "Let's get this over with."

Valeria led him across the yard and to the front door. He made a comment about the size of the house, which was easily three times bigger than his own — he knew it was owed to Alice and the stock market as Valeria had once told him.

"You're right," Sam stated, as they stepped inside.

"About what?" she asked, tilting her head.

"It would look much better with a moat."

From upstairs in the kitchen, Bella found herself in a very familiar environment. The entire family was gathered to meet Sam and forced to help Esme cook. It was kind of nice to not be the outsider in a situation that Bella knew would be uncomfortable for everyone.

Valeria's giggle drifted to their ears, signaling the couple's arrival. The sound put a smile on Esme's face who was glad that Sam made Valeria happy. She then cut her eyes to Rosalie and Jasper, who had scowls on their faces.

"Be nice," she commanded in a stern tone.

Rosalie and Jasper grumbled under their breath in sync, sharing an annoyed look. Emmett chuckled and wrapped an arm around Rosalie's shoulder to try and keep her calm.

It was certainly a sight to see little Valeria lead the muscular wolf who was easily more than a foot taller than her into the kitchen by his hand. Sam was as tense as the rest of the family, clearly not comfortable with the whole situation either, but he was doing it for Valeria.

"Sam!" Esme greeted brightly. "It's wonderful to meet you under less trying circumstances."

"It's nice to meet you too, Mrs. Cullen," he said, smiling and nodding politely. "Thank you for inviting me into your home."

Esme beamed at the nice response. "Finally, someone with manners."

Emmett scoffed and leaned against the counter. "We have manners."

"Em, you waved a knife at me the first time I came over," Bella reminded him, earning a snicker from Valeria.

"I hope you're hungry," Esme said, ignoring Bella and Emmett's banter. "We're using Valeria's Abuela's recipe for empanadillas."

"Just don't say he's already eaten, Val," Edward muttered, remembering how that had gone last time. Sam didn't understand why that caused Valeria, Bella, and Emmett to laugh — and Rosalie looked even more annoyed if that was possible.

"It smells delicious, Mrs. Cullen, and I can quite literally always eat," Sam told her, eying the ingredients covering the kitchen island.

"Can you be trusted to help make a few, or will you be like my brother and eat all the filling before it makes it to the dough?" Valeria asked him, raising a teasing eyebrow.

"I wouldn't dare think of it," Sam promised her.

"He's thinking of it," Edward said in a flat tone.

Valeria gasped and swatted Sam on the arm, who chuckled. Then he looked at Edward. "You do that a lot?" Sam wasn't a stranger to people hearing his thoughts. No one in the pack could keep anything to themselves, so Edward blurting out his intentions to steal food when Valeria wasn't looking didn't bother him too much.

"All. Of. The. Time," Alice grumbled, speaking for the first time since Sam's arrival. It wasn't that she hated Sam, she just hated that he blocked her visions. And the smell. "So, Sam, clearly you and Valeria are close. How long have you been spending time together behind everyone's backs?"

"Shortly after you all returned to Forks," he answered, clearing his throat a bit awkwardly. "I imprinted on her that day we lost Victoria at the border, and Paul and Emmett had their little... disagreement."