Chapter 27: Misunderstandings

Начните с самого начала

Edward was not in the mood for metaphorical jokes. "What did you tell her so distasteful that she had to go red in the centre of a ballroom?"

"Calm down now, Your Grace. My brother has been on his best behaviour ever since he visited London, has he not?" Rebecca jumped in to defend her brother, once again caging Edward's arm into her hands.

"Chasing after women who keep trying to avoid his acquaintance, keeping a lady waiting in a garden after inviting her himself and exposing secrets that he has no rights to speak of, I'd hardly call that his best behaviour." Edward's voice was reaching higher notes with every other phrase of accusation.

"Exposing secrets?" Rebecca repeated in bewilderment. "What secrets have you been exposing?" She asked her brother, the sisterly affection long gone from her pitched voice.

"I'd tell you if I knew," Reuben replied with a scowl although the flicker in his eyes told her he had some idea if not the full knowledge. "He is making stories, that's what it is." He added nonchalantly soon after and started walking towards the bar for some drinks.

"I warned you to stay away from Miss Sherborne, did I not?" Edward stepped in front of him to block his path with a pair of jaws that seemed to be at war with one another ready to crush their opponent down any moment now.

"Oh you did, I remember you did," Cornelius's tone was turning rougher by the minute, and Edward standing in his way was not helping. Fortunately, a server passed by them right in time for him to grab three flutes of champagne. He swiftly emptied them all down his throat and placed the glass on his tray as he lifted the last flute as well. The server walked away and Cornelius resumed his conversation.

"However, I am amazed you expected me to obey. But don't you worry," he added and paused to down his drink, "you won't see us together much hereafter. She just called me a tainted man with the worst reputation in the town before you scared her away."

Edward's eyes darkened at his words. "What did you do to her?"

Cornelius scoffed almost painfully at his heavy question. "Look at you, getting all heated up for nothing. Take it easy, Your Grace," he teased, "I've been the most gentle with her, up until now that is."

"Reuben!" Rebecca exclaimed. "Stop instigating him, will you?"

Edward looked at him with rage while his blood boiled beneath his skin. "Stay, the hell away from Esther." He commanded in an authoritative tone. "She is a respectable lady and she needs to stay away from men like you."

"Men like me?" Cornelius scoffed dramatically. "Don't kid me, Montague. You are 'men like me'." He said poking his finger on Edward's chest. "But I can wager all my wealth you'll go running after her the moment you are done with this conversation."

"I was a man like you, Cornelius. But I am now a changed man. Not that I expect you to understand."

"Don't make me laugh, Your Grace!" Cornelius seethed and left Edward standing there with his red eyes. Rebecca Valentine knew better than to try and calm him down hence she rushed after her brother instead.

Esther spent a lot of time avoiding all kinds of human interactions after that dance. She had often broken hearts in past, it was not a new view for her to watch a man's face lose its shine and his eyes turn dark with hurt but after watching Reuben's reaction to her extremely honest and obviously hurtful confession, she could feel the guilt creep beneath her skin.

He was a bad man. He must have broken more hearts than anyone present in the gathering and yet breaking his heart felt just as much of a crime as anyone else's. Perhaps it was Esther's good nature that did not allow her to not feel guilty after hurting a man irrespective of whether he deserved it or not.