17. Walls and Falls

Start from the beginning

The witches and wizards of Hogsmede padded around in the snow, smiling and greeting the students cheerily with a wave of their hand or a nod of their heads. The shops were alive with customers and workers, rushing around in excitement.

The same applied to the students, it was as if the air your breathed whilst in Hogsmede made you feel so at peace and happy, perhaps it was simply because they were away from the school and had their own freedom.

"Zonkos?" Ron said, turning around so he could face his little group.

"Yup!" Rachel said, stepping forwards to the joke shop before being roughly yanked away by Hermione.

"We," She said looking at Rachel sternly. "Are dress shopping."

Rachel let out a groan and waved goodbye to her brother and Ron before trudging behind Hermione. They walked a little way away from the usual busy streets to somewhere that looked a little more formal. It had robe shops up and down the cobbled road, it looked incredibly sincere.

"So... Um which one first?" Rachel said, peering into a shop window.

Hermione looked around until she spotted a shop that looked more affordable for her, she knew Rachel had enough money to be in any of the shops, and it seemed more student friendly. Rachel took her place next to Hermione and looked at the same shop, it was lit up by little twinkling lights in the window; already giving it a welcoming look.

"I'm assuming it's this shop then?" Rachel smiled.

Hermione nodded and they both strolled over, excitedly wishing the perfect dress was inside. Rachel's hand pushed the door open and a little bell rang to indicate someone had entered.

But before they could escape into the petite shop, two Slytherin's came barging out: Pansy Parkinson and Kayla Donavon. Both girls had a bag or two in their hands, clearly already have gotten their dresses and accessories. Rachel was unsure as whom the girls were going with but she guessed one of them was going with Malfoy.

At first Kayla's face seemed to almost light up, like she wanted to say something to Rachel as she slightly lifted her bags up. Rachel noticed this but as soon as she did, it disappeared. Kayla's smile slipped and was replaced with the familiar scowl that Parkinson also wore. Kayla shoulder barged Rachel as she passed and walked onwards with her friend away from the shop.

"Did she smile at you?" Hermione said shocked, looking at the Slytherin's before turning to Rachel and slipping through the door.

"I don't know." Rachel pulled a face, quickly shutting the wooden framed door behind her and stepping further through the aisles of dresses and robes.

Hermione's eyes quickly scanned the shelves, looking for anything that stood out to her or for Rachel. But as she turned back around, she found Rachel wearing a very large headwear. It was acid green and rested on the back of her head and spiralled outwards, it was absolutely ghastly and neither of the girls could imagine anyone wearing it for other than a joke.

They burst out laughing when they caught eyes with each other, and Rachel reached up for the horrific headdress and put it back upon the shelf from whence it came.

"Hello ladies!" A cheerful voice said so suddenly they both jumped.

They turned to see a young witch stood behind the counter, she had a huge smile on her face and seemed to have an eccentric aura. Her hair being peacock blue seemed to prove the point in Rachel's mind, though she had to admit she loved the colour.

"You're from Hogwarts right? Of course you are. So I'm guessing you're looking for a Yule Ball dress? Those other girls were doing the same, though I don't think the one realises how horrible her dress is." The shop assistant rambled, half talking to herself and half talking to the girls. "It was pink, frilly, silk and short. Merlin it was a train crash of a dress."