Perfume (Geto Suguru)

Start from the beginning

The silhouette of what they used to be danced into reality.

The soft white sand glowed under the blazing summer sun, mischief gleamed in her silver eyes as they splashed each other with all their might. She laughed, and he felt like the luckiest man on earth.

Fanned by the gentle breezes, her lavender hair blended into the magical pinks and oranges of the sunset. She grinned, and his face was all flustered behind the camera.

Fingers entangled, they chattered and bantered on the blue, cushioned seats. The train sped pass the shimmering sea as she snoozed on his shoulder.

Blinking, he stared at the faint reflection of himself on the glass.

*゚
Now take a good look at what I've become,
a man who is nothing but garbage.
Whether it's hurting others or making them burst into tears,
I feel devoid of emotions.
*゚

The past three years did not slip away in a blink of an eye, nor did it tick away slowly in the speed of a turtle.

Things like violence, blood and death no longer keep him awake at night.

Not even the blood-curdling screams of the foolish villagers, the desperate begs of the filthy rich, the heart-stopping cries of his own parents could ripple his numbness.

Those were nothing but insignificant sacrifices for the vision of a greater, superior world he sees.

Geto sunk back into his chair.

Nothing, hollow, empty.

His smitten, idealistic self was simply not here anymore.

*゚
It's not like I want to be with you again,
but whenever I'm next to you
I can't help to imagine.
It's because of your Dolce&Gabbana,
it's all because of the smell of your perfume.
*゚

The bells at the door jingled yet again.

His heart skipped a beat the moment he lifted his head. A more than familiar fragrance tickled his nose, it smelled of citrus, wood and the ocean.

Geto opened his mouth without knowing what to say,

"Hey there."

*゚
Seeing you now, where should I start?
"You've gotten cute."
It's all but exchanging empty pleasantries.
What happened? It's surprising,
how you're lighting the cigarette skilfully.
I'm not sad, really, I'm not sad at all.
How you've changed shouldn't come as a surprise.
*゚

Extinguishing the half-smoked cigarette in the transparent ashtray, the girl opposite to him pursed her lips gave a curt dip of her head. She fiddled with her fingers under the table, unsure of what to say either.

He couldn't help but notice how she had changed, the corner of his smile twitched.

Instead of the wild and striking lavender, her now shoulder-length hair boasts of an ombré from brown to blonde. The subtle yet pungent note of tobacco on her fingertips was unfamiliar and foreign, he felt like he could probably never get used to that.

"I like your hairstyle, it's cute," swallowing the lump in his throat, Geto forced himself to speak up. After all, he had been absent from her side for three years, not three months, nor three days. It wasn't a habit of time to wait for anyone, it was only normal for her to have changed.

She studied his face for a few minutes, her eyes lingered on his ears, "You've gotten new earrings."

"Oh? You can tell?"