adventures in babysitting - 003

Start from the beginning

i mentally threw up once more. "what is their last name?..." i trailed off.

"harrington."

i officially died.

"do you know that name?"

"yea i do. i know their son. his name is steve." i turned around facing the stairs because i'm bright red.

"oh that's right! go get dressed nicely, they should be here soon!"

i ignored that message, and went upstairs. i tried to pick out a nice outfit, but i couldn't keep my mind off of steve coming to my house and eating dinner.

what if he brings up last night? what if my mom asks where i was? i'm so fucking scared.

the phone rang, and snapped me out of my thoughts.

i answered it before my mom did. "hello?"

"KAT?!" the voice screamed.

i pulled my ear away from the phone because it was so loud.

"it's mr. henderson!"

"oh hi! is everything ok?"

"no! mews is missing! i need you to come and babysit dustin for me! are you available right now?!"

i was overly excited for this. i didn't have to hang out with steve tonight. "yes! yes i am! i'll be over as soon as i can!"

"thank you!"

i hug the phone up, and exhaled. i changed out of my cop outfit, and grabbed my skateboard. the doorbell rang, and i rushed downstairs. i saw mr. and mrs. harrington sitting at my table with my mom and brother.

"kat, where are you going?" my mom asked.

i opened the door. "i have to babysit dustin i'll be back later bye!" i yelled quickly as i shut the door. i skated through town to dustin's house. i babysit him a lot, since mrs. henderson is working. i arrived to his house, and mrs. henderson was rushing to her car.

"oh kat! thank you so much for helping me! i have to go find mewsie!"

"no problem! good luck finding her." i said.

she quickly got in her car and drove away.

i walked into dustin's house, and couldn't find him. "dustin? dustin?" i checked every room.

his bedroom door opened.

"kat! i need your help." he pushed me aside.

"with what?"

"i need to go to mike's and get him."

"why?" i kept questioning.

dustin opened the door leading to the garage. "i have a little d&d problem. i promise it'll all make sense soon."

i slammed it shut with my right hand. "and why do we need mike?"

dustin sighed as i spoke. 

"remember i play with you and know how the game works."

"because this is in real life."

"what do you mean dusti-"

"THERE IS A WILD DEMOGORGON IN MY STORM CELLAR AND IT'S FROM THE UNDER WORLD AND WE NEED MIKE TO HELP!" he shouted.

"huh?!"

"let me explain while we ride."

i sighed. "you better." i swung the door open and dustin grabbed his bike.

we rode to the wheeler's.

i didn't want to go there only because nancy might be there.

dustin rang the doorbell, and mr. wheeler answered. "your line had been busy for over two hours, did you know that? is mike home?" he asked.

mr. wheeler sighed. "no."

"no? where the hell is he?" i snapped.

"HONEY WHERE IS MIKE?!" mr. wheeler yelled.

"WILL'S!" she yelled back.

"he's at will's." he answered us.

dustin rolled his eyes. "what about nancy?" he was getting impatient.

"she's at ally's. our children don't live with us anymore." mr. wheeler wanted to go sit down.

"son of a bitch. that was no help." i said.

dustin walked away back to his bike and he was furious as well.

"language!" mr. wheeler shut the door.

a maroon bmw pulled up in front of the house.

"listen, i've been thinking. i love you, i'm sorry- sorry? what the hell am i sorry for?" steve was mumbling. he was holding roses, they were probably for nancy.

dustin walked toward steve. "steve!"

steve turned toward us.

"are those for mr. or mrs. wheeler?"

steve looked at the roses confused. "no-"

"good." dustin grabbed the roses out of steve's hand and walked toward his car.

"what the hell?" steve asked.

"uh, dustin?!" i walked over to where steve was standing.

"nancy isn't home."

"where is she?" steve asked.

"it doesn't matter. we have bigger problems than your love life." dustin opened the car door. "do you still have that bat?"

"bat? what bat?" i asked, looking at steve.

"the one with the nails." dustin answered.

"why?" steve's voiced cracked.

"i'll explain on the way."

"now?" i asked.

"now!"