Chapter 2: Love and a Robbery

It was a November weekend morning. Kevin was playing fetch with Krypto in the backyard, while Andrea was giving Streaky a bath (again). Interestingly, Kevin's mind wasn't really in the game, and he kept glancing back over towards Andrea's house. It didn't take long for Krypto to notice.

"What's wrong Kevin?" He asked, dropping the reluctantly thrown Frisbee.

"Krypto, how do you know if you like someone...as more than a friend?" Kevin asked, sitting on the steps of the back door.

"You're asking the wrong dog," Krypto chuckled. "I've never gotten a crush on anyone before...wait a minute...you've got one on Andrea?"

"I did before, after the incident when we got superpowers." Kevin explained. "She was usually nice to me, which I just liked friendship-wise, but after that particular day I realized we had more in common than I first thought. And that's when I realized that I was starting to get a crush on her. Now, well, I think it's gotten stronger."

"You mean you're in love with her?" Krypto asked.

"Yes, though sort of wish I wasn't." Kevin sighed.

"Why? I think it's great!"

"Yeah, but what if she doesn't love me back, or if she did what if it didn't work out? I could lose her forever, even as a friend."

"Ah, I see. Well what if that doesn't happen?"

"Then that'd be great, but there's a 50-50 chance of it happening." Kevin pointed out.

"Considering the strong friendship you two have I think more of a 90-10, with the ninety being you two ending up together and never losing your friendship."

"How can you be so sure?" Kevin frowned.

"All animals have a sixth sense you know, and mine was enhanced along with the usual five senses." Krypto explained. "Look, you have to tell her soon, from what I know about human relationships you two are getting to the girlfriend-boyfriend stage and you could lose her to someone else."

"Kevin! Krypto!" Andrea called as she started to go into their backyard along with Streaky.

"Alright, I'll tell her now." Kevin sighed, starting to feel a little brave at the sound of her voice; also, he knew that Krypto would support him no matter the result.

"So, what should we do today?" Andrea asked as she approached them. "I was thinking we could go ice skating."

"Sounds like fun, but first I need to tell you something." Kevin replied.

"What is it?" Andrea asked.

"Andrea...."

"Krypto!" Ace's voice cried from the end of the backyard; apparently he had just leapt over the fence.

"Ace what's wrong?" Krypto asked.

"Has a Supervillan joined one of your foes?" Kevin suggested, noting Ace's tone of voice; he was disappointed at the interruption, but knew that this was more important.

"No, but it's almost as bad, there's been a robbery!" Ace cried.

"Eh, what else is new?" Streaky replied dryly, losing interest.

"Not a usual robbery, it took place at Lexcorp!"

(Lexcorp is an invention factory owned by Lex Luthor.)

"What did they steal?" Krypto asked.

"Poison!" Ace cried. "The robber is planning to kill someone!"

Ace is mostly cool, calm, and collected, but who can remain calm when someone's life is literally in danger?

Everyone else gasped!