I can't even leave my room so I keep pouring

Start from the beginning

Lucas smiles again.

pretty dry so far but who knows

Like it's a trigger, Lucas's door swings open loudly and he tilts his head back, looking at his father upside down.

"...Yes?"

"You have to do the dishes, yeah?" he says flatly.

"But I did them last night," Lucas says, still holding his phone above his head. He doesn't look at it, even as it gives a short buzz with Jens's response.

"And I brought dinner for you."

"You brought chicken home and I cooked it."

It's true. Lucas had to Google how to do it, and it was the blandest, driest chicken he's ever had, but it sufficed. There was nothing else in the kitchen he could have made. Back home, there's usually things in the cupboard to micwave.

"Lucas—" His dad pinches the bridge of his nose and closes his eyes, huffing. Exasperated, like Lucas is the issue here. "Just do it."

"Fine, whatever," Lucas mutters, looking at his phone, but he doesn't get to read the message before his dad snaps at him.

"Don't whatever me," he says sharply.

"Fine," Lucas says, stopping him. "Yes. I will."

He leaves without shutting Lucas's door.

Lucas takes a second, huffing at the open hallway. He hates him. And he knows he Shouldn't, because He's His Father, but he can't not. It's his face. Even before Lucas knew about how much of a dick he is, his face told Lucas everything. Always angry, disappointed. Always bitter, like he tried to sue the universe and lost. His eyes always look pinched. Especially when he looks at Lucas.

He doesn't know why, honestly. It's not like he even really knows Lucas. Anything about Lucas that's actually important. Not that Lucas would tell him anything important.

(He has a list of things he doesn't ever plan on telling him. His being gay is the top one. He's never heard his father talk about queer people, but he doesn't have to to know that he's probably a bigot. His art is another thing. He doesn't want to listen to his father talk about how it's not a Viable Career Option, or how it's a Waste of Time.)

He looks at his phone after a second.

😔
boring days suck
wanna call later and do hw together?

Lucas exhales, trying to sigh away his frustration.

yes ofc
you said you can do math right?

He shuts the door (quietly) while he waits for Jens's answer.

i'm a math genius
call me fuckin newton

Lucas scoffs, shaking his head as he sits back on his mattress, leaning back so his head falls off the edge, upside down.

great so that means you'll do my hw for me

Lucas bites his lip, trying to suppress the smile that appears in anticipation as Jens types.

hmmmm
what's in it for me?🤔

uhhhhh
moral support

Lucas grins as you amaze me appears on his screen, followed by oh i can teach you math, which promptly makes him roll his eyes and reply with an exaggerated uuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhh.

Jens replies with oop i gotta go, and then, as Lucas prepares to send the eye-rolling emoji, see you after school🙃.

Lucas sends the emoji anyway, along with you're the worst.