4

You had refused to leave your room for the next couple of days, the furthest you went was to greet Childe at the door who tried to lure you out with the promise of good food. But you didn't budge.

What made it worse was the fact that you started having nightmares, memories you knew were yours. Fighting, so much blood and death. Carnage and destruction. While you usually managed to wake yourself up or just sleep through it, one of the dreams ended with you screaming and drenched in cold sweat.

That night Zhongli held your hand until you fell asleep.

However the morning after was different.

"Goodmorning Y/N." Zhongli greeted you like usual, you gave a small smile and sat down in front of him.

"Would you like to accompany me out today?" Zhongli nonchalantly asked, but you didn't reply. You didn't want to say no, but you had no intention of going anywhere near those who harmed you again.

"Fret not, it's outside the city." Zhongli added after seeing your hesitance.

"Outside the city?" you furrowed your eyebrows in visible confusion.

"It will do you well." Zhongli gave a smile hoping to persuade you.

You gave a sigh, "okay." you relented.

Zhongli gave a satisfied nod, but you saw him smile a little.

After eating breakfast you took a few minutes to internally prep yourself, and as the two of you left the building you clenched your necklace tightly in your hands. So much so that the metal almost pierced your skin.

A wave of relief hit you as the two of you stepped outside Liyue, you had spotted one of the guards that had tackled you previously and you realized at that moment that you weren't afraid of the people, the guards or any potential threat they posed. But it was in fact, the weapons they carried. To be particular, the spears.

It felt strange because you used a spear yourself, had seen Zhongli hold one and hadn't minded previously. But it was as if the attack had triggered something deep within you.

You shuddered visibly at the thought, much to Zhongli's concern.

"Have you ever tried osmanthus wine?" Zhongli suddenly asked, while the name was a bit familiar you shook your head.

Zhongli gave a wry smile, an expression you'd never seen on his face before. "I'll have to let you try some when we get back."

You cocked an eyebrow, something about his expression told you there was something he wasn't telling you.

"You like Violetgrass?" Zhongli curiously asked after a few minutes of silence, you hadn't realized you were staring intently at one until he asked.

Your cheeks slightly heated, "I don't know." you replied with a nonchalant shrug. "I've just always felt a need to collect them." you admitted.

Zhongli furrowed his eyebrows in visible confusion, you quickly spoke again thinking you had said the wrong thing.

"I used to offer them to Rex lapis." you blurted quickly, "although I prefer Glaze lily's" you added with a shrug.

"Or maybe he did?" you whispered more to yourself than to Zhongli.

Zhongli remained awkwardly silent for a few moments, until he suddenly chuckled. The act caused you to shrink dejectedly. "Well, you certainly don't have to do that anymore." he gave a half smile.

"Yeah.." you trailed off, the knowledge that Rex lapis was gone left you feeling empty.

"Where are we going?" you asked after what felt like hours of endless walking, you hadn't really given much thought about where you were going.