✿Chapter 30: A Vial of Amber✿

Start from the beginning

"Man, I would've loved to have met Demanitus." He laughed.

"I did." Rapunzel started, Varian looked over at her shocked, "Nice guy. He was a monkey." She took a glance at the boy, "Uh, long story." She spun around towards the stairs and motioned for you two to follow her.

Rocks crumbled around you all, you began to grow worried, hoping that the chamber wouldn't collapse around you.

"Oh! Okay, there's the base." Varian said, pointing over to a large group of red rocks. Encasing it in amber should stop the fear from--" The ground rumbled causing you to press your back against the wall behind you. Red rocks sprouted up from the ground, because of the large number of rocks you could hear the voices again, this time more frequent, you shook your head trying to ignore the sound.

Rapunzel grabbed both of you and pulled you away from the wall, "Okay, less explaining, more pouring." She said, trying to rush the process. She wrapped her hair around Varian and he walked forward, leaning so he could pour the contents of the vial on the rocks. Before he poured help looked down nervously, probably seeing something the rocks were showing him. He reached forward and the vial on the rocks. He quickly ran back and Rapunzel protected the both of you with her hair, you waited for the amber to do its work but nothing happened. In fact, the amber evaporated.

"What? Gah, I don't understand!" Varian said, "This solution should encase the red rock..." He facepalmed, "Oh, of course! Oh! So dumb, Varian! Whatever turned these rocks red must've also changed their internal chemistry." You looked over at Rapunzel who was looking up, you followed her gaze and spotted a black rock.

"So, that solution only works on black rocks?" You asked.

Varian nodded, "Yes. Well, what's left of it." He tapped on the glass, looking at the remaining amber inside, "But, I... I don't even see any black rocks."

You placed your hand on his shoulder and pointed up to the black rock that Rapunzel saw, "I do."

"Wow. You are a genius!" He said, quickly turning around and grabbing your shoulders, he then turned around quickly, both of your faces bright red, "But-- uh... this just got a lot harder." Varian laughed nervously, "You're telling me I gotta climb all the way up there? Nobody in their right mind would climb--" You rushed past the boy, shaking off your fear, beginning to climb up the ruined machinery.

Rapunzel followed you, "We'll race you to the top."

"Woah, Woah! (Y/N)! Get down here!" Varian called, you turned around and stuck your tongue out at him, "Oh, come on. Real grown-up." The boy rolled his eyes and began climbing up the machinery.

The three of you were slowly making your way up to the top. Suddenly the room started rumbling causing Varian to slip. You looked down, seeing him holding on. Rapunzel looked up, seeing rocks falling from the ceiling.

"Woah! Watch out!" She called, the rocks fell and Varian tried to dodge, slipping in the process.

"Varian!" You called out. Rapunzel quickly tossed her hair down to him. He grabbed her hair and held on for his life. Rapunzel then jumped down, sending the boy up.

Varian looked down, "It's no use, Rapunzel! I can't do this!" He looked up at her nervously. You shifted your position so you could be able to hold on better. Your hands touched the rocks and you felt yourself slowly become petrified. You tried dismissing the fear.

Rapunzel gave the boy a determined look, "Varian, you cannot let fear run your life. Look, I'm afraid, too."

"Yeah, you said that Princess, but you don't see what I see." He looked down. Not wanting to ruin the moment you decided to stay silent, you tried to force the fear out of your mind. Unfortunately, it was too much for you. The petrification slowly crept up your hands.

"That's true. I don't. But that doesn't mean I'm not seeing... other things." She looked around nervously, "I see Corona. It's covered in black rocks. And I see Cassandra. She's conquered the kingdom, destroyed it forever. And you know what the weird part is? What I'm most afraid of is losing Cassandra as a friend. Forever."

Varian swung over to Rapunzel, "I had no idea."

"I guess we both have trouble talking about what scares us," Rapunzel said before the cavern started to rumble again.

You turned to look down at the two, "Hey, guys. Sorry to rush this but uh..." You gestured to your hand which was stuck to the rocks, "We gotta move along."

Varian looked up, his eyes widened, "I'll do it!" He said, turning back to Rapunzel, "Just, uh, give me a lift."

"One lift," Rapunzel pulled herself upwards, "coming up!" She pulled her hair down, flinging Varian upwards. Varian landed on some machinery further up, "Hurry, Varian!" She called watching as the boy climbed even further up.

The petrification was up to your arms and getting close to your head, "Uh, Varian!" You glanced up at him, noticing him being petrified.

"It's not real. I can do this." Varian said, the petrification quickly retracting, "Okay." He reached out, struggling to reach the rock. He tilted the flask, "Come on. Come on!" The vial was hit by another rock and slipped out of his hand, "The vial! NO!" You glanced up, seeing him catch it with his foot. You let out a sigh of relief, feeling the petrification reach your chin. Your vision was blurred as you were almost completely petrified.

Suddenly it retracted, leaving you suspended in the air, hanging on to the machinery. The amber spread, slowly making its way towards you. You spun around, trying to judge how close the ground was to you, you glanced down seeing Rapunzel setting up a sort of hammock with her hair. She gestured for you to come down. You jumped, falling down into her hair and quickly getting to the ground. You turned around to see Varian had landed behind you.

You jumped towards him, wrapping your arms over his shoulders, "Oh, Varian! You tackled your fears!" He lightly placed his hands around your waist, "I knew you had it in you!" You felt him tighten his grip around you, burying his face in your shoulder. You leaned back, your hand cupping his face, "You saved my life, Varian!" You quickly leaned forward, turning his face to kiss his cheek.

The two of you pulled away from each other, blushing hysterically. The two of you turned away, "Ehem. Maybe we should get back to Corona." Varian suggested awkwardly.

"Yeah..." You nodded, agreeing. This whole interaction made Rapunzel chuckle, you elbowed her lightly.

✿✿✿

You were walking in the town when you spotted Varian and Quirin, "If it weren't for Rapunzel and (Y/N), I'd be-- Ruddiger! H-hey!" He said, seeing the raccoon running towards him, "It's good to see you, buddy."

"OH! Nice job with those rocks, Varian!" Feldspar said walking past, "Rapunzel says you were a real hero, so, uh, yes."

Varian sent him a small wave, "Just doing my part."

"Hey, Varian." You said softly.

He smiled, rubbing the back of his neck, "H-hey, (Y/N)!" You stepped over to him and walked in step with him. Lightly bumping him with your hip.

"That was some big life-saving stuff you pulled off. I'm glad I was there." You said.

"Heh." He chuckled nervously, "How's your arm?" He asked, you noticed his dad walking off.

You shrugged, holding your previously injured arm out in front of you for him to examine, "It feels fine actually. Thanks to that solution of your's I feel so much better! You really are the greatest alchemist I've ever met!" Varian's face went red.

"Ah, gee. Thanks (Y/N)..." He said.

You held your hands behind your back, "So... since that's all over, do you want to go do something? Like maybe go to that field of yours? Or... go outside the walls of Corona?" You chuckled to yourself, "Since you would be with me I wouldn't have to worry about getting kidnapped this time."

Varian nodded, "Let's go outside the walls... It's been a while." He said softly.

"Awesome!" You exclaimed, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards Old Corona. He let himself be dragged by you, admiring how energetic you were. He wouldn't wish for anything else than to be by your side. You were just happy to get a moment alone with the boy where you didn't have to worry about any life-threatening situations.

✿✿✿