✿Chapter 26: Rescuing Corona✿

Start from the beginning

You tried grabbing Rapunzel to keep her down on the ground. You spun around seeing a sword pointed directly in Varian's face. You were conflicted, unsure what to do. You clutched your sword tighter and ran over to where Varian was.

"I'll take care of him," Andrew said before grabbing the boy by the collar and holding him over the side of the ship, "Traitors to Saporia pay with their lives." Pascal ran towards Andrew in his bubble and hit the back of Andrew's ankle. That caused Andrew to let go of Varian and Andrew flew off the other side of the ship. Varian fell down before grabbing onto the side of the ship, barely holding himself up.

You quickly ran over and grabbed his hand, trying to pull him up with all your might. You were very limited with only one arm. You eventually pulled him up, the two of you falling to the ground. Varian's hands were resting on the ground on both sides of your head.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sitting up and looking over your arm, "Anything hurt?" You sat up too, gripping his arm.

"You literally were almost thrown off the side of the ship and you're worried about me?" You said, wrapping your arm around him and pulling him into a hug, your head resting on your shoulder, "You dork." You blushed, unaware that he was also blushing. The two of you quickly pulled away, realizing that you were still on the boat and were still very much in danger. The two of you rushed over to Rapunzel who somehow had just defeated the others. Varian popped the bubbles.

"Well, that wasn't so hard," Rapunzel said to Pascal.

Apparently, Andrew had floated back up his head in a bubble, "We're not done yet. Time for Corona to go boom." Andrew pulled his sword out cutting the ropes that held the ship up.

You started falling, unable to grab the side of the ship. You felt a hand grab yours and you looked up to spot Varian grabbing onto your hand. Varian pulled you up, wrapping his arm around your waist.

"That single burner cannot generate enough heat to keep this ship in the air. If it crashes, it'll destroy all of Corona." He said, turning to Rapunzel.

She looked nervous, you were too, "What if we use the Quirineon?" Rapunzel asked.

"Yes, yes!" Varian said, "Heating the Quirineon will increase the temperature enough for the balloons to rise." He paused, looking down at the ground, "We just have to get it high enough so that when it explodes, it doesn't destroy the city." Varian let out a breath, "You need to get off the ship. Both of you, I've got to clean up my own mess."

Your eyes widened, "No!"

"You do not have a shield of magic hair that will protect you when this thing explodes." She wrapped her hair around both of you.

"What are you doing?" Varian asked.

Rapunzel pulled you both closer, "Varian, It's your mess, but it's my kingdom." She threw you both over the side, carefully letting you down with her hair. The two of you landed on a roof. Her hair unwrapped from both of you. Varian ran to the end of the roof.

"No!" He cried, "Rapunzel!" You got up and carefully walked over to him.

You rested your hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry, Varian. It's not her first rodeo."

The boy sighed, once more leaning into your touch, "I know, I know. It's just- if something happens to her, I'll only blame myself for it." He said covering his face with his hands. You wrapped your arm around him, pulling him close. He wrapped his arms around your waist. You looked up at the balloon.

"Be careful Rapunzel." You breathed.

Varian pulled away from you and you both stared up at the ship and noticed that it lit up in flames. You gasped, taking a step back. She was getting closer and closer to the castle. Suddenly the whole ship exploded. Your eyes widened, you hadn't seen her jump off before hand. Varian grabbed your hand tightly, both of you looking for a sign that she was alive.