4 - Singing Hats

At the front door to the castle, was a tall, strict looking, black haired witch with emerald green robes, waiting, and Percy knew he was not to cross this woman. The witch, who Hagrid had called Professor McGonagall, led them into a hall where everyone lined up and and she started talking.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start of term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seat, you shall be sorted into your houses. Your house will be like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. "

"The four houses are called Griffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn you points, while any rule breaking will lose points. At the end of the year the House Cup will be awarded to the house with the most points. The sorting ceremony will take place in a few minutes, in front of the rest of the school. "

The professor then left the first years to worry about what was gonna happen. Ron said that his brothers had said something about a troll and Percy smiled at that, he could definitely do that one.

The professor came back, and led them into the Great Hall and all the first years looked around amazed. There was a ceiling bewitched to look like the night sky, 5 tables, all with glittering golden plates and goblets, four of the tables sat students and one table at the top of the hall sat teachers.

Professor McGonagall led the first years to a stool, which sat an old, patched and frayed pointed wizards hat and everyone waited. What everyone was waiting for Percy didn't know and then the hat started singing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.
You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.
There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.
You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;
You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;
Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;
Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.
So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone clapped and Professor McGonagall started calling student names in alphabetical order and the student would walk up to the stool, sit on it and put the hat on and it would shout out a house and then the student would go sit at the house's table.

Eventually Percy's name was called. He walked up to the stool confidently and placed the hat on his head. The hat fell over his eyes so all he could see was black.

"Hmmm. You're a difficult one. Extremely wise, yes your wand says that, but you are not book smart nor do you seek learning. Very loyal, like your mother, willing to die for your friends, even willing to sacrifice the world if it means they are safe. That would do you well in Hufflepuff. The five quests show your bravery clearly, which would do you well in Gryffindor. But you're ambitious, and cunning. Very cunning, getting everyone to believe you are eleven and not sixteen, very powerful magic to do that. And your leadership during the war. You have every quality to be a Slytherin. And probably unite all the houses and change its name. Yes that's it. SLYTHERIN!" The hat called and Percy went to go sit at the table full of green and silver, who were clapping.