9 | kiss goodnight

Start from the beginning

Bella nodded, knowing just how true that was. Not only was Valeria just as close with her human friends as she was with her immortal siblings, but she had even branched out and befriended the wolf pack in secret. Losing them over the years would be difficult for her.

At least Bella had the privilege of coming to terms with the fact that she'd lose all the people in her life before becoming a vampire.

"She'll learn," Edward stated.

"She shouldn't have too," Emmett mumbled glumly. It was times like these where he shouldered all the guilt for bringing Valeria into this life.

Not wanting to linger around the room that had suddenly become somber, Edward took Bella's hand. "Ready to go to Port Angeles?"

In lieu of going to Prom again, Bella and Edward had made plans to go to Port Angeles and visit a few bookstores. Even though it was far, they'd probably still make it back before Valeria, who was going to the after party at Tyler Crowley's lakehouse.

At least, Valeria would be stopping by. Bella knew that Seth Clearwater would be meeting Valeria at the school. Since he was only fourteen, she didn't think it was a good idea to let him hang around the party that would no doubt be full of bad influences. So, she'd be dropping off Seth at the treaty line before going late to the party.

"Yeah, let me just grab my coat," Bella said. The moment she said it, Edward zoomed to the living room and grabbed her jacket for her, making her smile.

"You two will have a great time," Alice said, grinning brightly. Then it faltered a bit. "It's nice knowing at least someone will have fun tonight."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Bella asked, confused.

"Alice hasn't been getting as many visions of Valeria lately," Edward answered for her. "It's not necessarily concerning, and Alice has been focusing most of her efforts on Aro and Victoria's decisions."

"I'm sure we'll hear all about her night when she gets back," Esme assured them. "And that Angela loves to take pictures and videos, so we'll be able to see those. You two drive safe."

Bella couldn't help but snort, knowing safe was not a word to describe Edward's driving. As they left the Cullen home, the human girl was silently hoping that Valeria had a nice night.

Hopefully, nothing would ruin it.

☽︎

"Woah! You look so pretty!" was the first thing that Seth said when he met Valeria in the venu parking lot.

They could hear music coming from the small event center in the middle of town, and students were making their way inside, stopping to take pictures at the door. It was agreed upon earlier that Seth and Valeria would take a set of pictures together that he'd get to take home, and then Valeria would take some with friends to show her family so that they wouldn't be suspicious.

"Thanks, Seth!" she said, beaming. "You look super handsome."

Seth was wearing a black suit that he had borrowed from Quil and his hair had been slicked back — a product of his sister and mother forcing him in a chair as they combed gel through it.

"Leah was saying she picked out a nice dress, but I didn't believe her," Seth said, shaking his head.

"Well, when you get home, tell her I love it." As she talked, Valeria twirled from side to side, making the skirt fan out.

"Do a spin!" Seth said excitedly. She laughed as he did his own spin, making the ends of his jacket flare out the smallest bit.

Valeria and Seth goofed off in the parking lot for a few more minutes before the limo carrying her friends arrived. It only took a few minutes for Seth to be introduced to everyone before heading inside.