9 | kiss goodnight

Mulai dari awal

But then Rosalie was gently turning her towards the huge mirror that was in Alice's room, and Valeria couldn't help but step closer at what she saw.

Valeria was never one to give much thought into her looks, both before and after becoming a vampire. She never thought about her appearance in terms of good or bad either.

But with red lips and a golden shimmer on her eyelids and a light dusting of blush on her cheeks and nose, Valeria though she was, well—

"I look... pretty."

"Don't have to sound so surprised," Rosalie said with a smile on her face.

She brushed Valeria's hair back off her shoulders. Leah's dress did look good with the pop of color, Valeria had to admit. It fit her well and flattered her features just as Leah said it would.

"Alice, did you lower the neckline?" Valeria asked, playfully glaring at the other vampire.

"Perhaps," she said, avoiding eye contact. Then she grinned. "I'm so excited. We've never gotten to dress you up before!"

"I suppose it wasn't horrible," she told her. Then Valeria hugged Rosalie tightly. Alice simply accepted her appreciative smile, knowing that she'd have to be wearing a long sleeve shirt and gloves to hug her.

The trio made their way downstairs, and much to Valeria's embarrassment, the entire family and Bella were waiting. Carlisle was holding a camera in his hand and gave her a knowing smile.

"Oh, you look so precious," Esme cooed, stepping forward to admire her.

"Thanks, Esme," she said — Valeria hadn't been with them quite long enough to call her Mom.

"I didn't think it was possible for you to look like you didn't just roll off the couch after a three hour nap," Emmett teased, earning an elbow in the gut from Rosalie for mocking her masterpiece.

"Sweetheart, pictures," Esme ordered, glancing at Carlisle. Immediately, the doctor began snapping candids. Valeria groaned as any teenager would, but she knew arguing would make it worse.

"I had to go through this last year. So do you," Edward told her with a smirk on his face. Emmett was wrapping his arms around Valeria and doing a standard pose that she would have done with a date. Jasper followed with an equally as awkward pose for their photo.

"These are going right over the fireplace," Carlisle joked.

"That's the fastest way to make me move out," Valeria replied, grinning widely. "I do need to get going, though. I'm running there and supposed to meet Jess and Mike at the door."

"You truly do look beautiful, Valeria," Carlisle complimented. "I hope you have a nice night with your friends."

Valeria may have pretended to not notice the displeased looks on her siblings' faces at the mention of her friends, but Bella certainly did. It wasn't until Valeria was out the door that she asked.

"Why does it seem like you're bothered by her hanging out with our friends from school?" Bella asked. The question was more directed at Rosalie, Jasper, and Carlisle, who looked the most bothered.

Edward wrapped an arm around her waist as he grimaced. "We've all lived long enough to learn our lessons about making mortal friends. Valeria hasn't."

"Learned your lesson as in... they all get married and have grandkids and die," Bella realized. "While you stay the same."

"Carlisle has tried to talk to her about it," Alice softly said. "But you know Val. Maybe her humanity gift makes it harder, but she can't stop making friends."