CHAPTER 2 : missing

regaining your senses, you realize you were suddenly within the pillows you had just been walking past. you feel the grip on your arm. "hey-!" you exclaim, before having another hand cover your mouth. "be quiet," a voice whispered, seemingly belonging to the hand covering your mouth. just what is going on!? you can't help but be totally confused by the situation. you peek from within the pillow display, and see that the figure you had been trying to gain the attention of turn around to where you would have been. they stare off for what felt like several minutes, before trudging along out of sight. finally, the hands holding you release their grip. "you need to be quiet, and don't let them see you." You look over to who had been talking to you. It was a boy with a yellow and black striped shirt, and black hair. wait a minute... this is...!! the shock finally hits you. this is the same exact boy on the missing poster! but what is this boy doing hiding in Ikea...!? the boy must have seen the surprise growing on your face, because he quickly put a finger over his mouth. "please, don't make any noise..." he said, with a somewhat desperate look on his face. "you're... the missing boy..." you whisper, fishing for the missing poster within your pockets that flew in your face earlier today. as you're fumbling to look for the paper, the boy speaks. "follow me, I can explain." he says, as he grabs your arm once again and drags you along out of the pillow display. you both end up in what seems like a bedroom section, and see a large pile of beds forming what seems to be a kind of fort. larger beds are piled on top to act as a sort of ceiling to the fort, as well. "go inside," he says, as he crouches through the entrance. what other choice do I have at this point? you grumble to yourself within your mind, and crouch along to follow.

- * -

you stare in awe to what seems to be a self-made fort with many of Ikea's furnishings inside. you see a table, a lamp or two, a couple chairs, and a queen-sized bed. "wow..." you let the words slip from your mouth. "pretty impressive huh? however, It would be quite rude to take all the credit for myself." the boy says, as a girl popped from behind, grabbing your shoulders. "AAYYYIiieee?!" you scream, jumping away from the girl. she had short blonde hair, and a blue frilly tee. "hey, not so loud, hee-hee!" the girl giggled, amused at your surprise. "I'm LinLin! and this is my lover, Denny~" the girl said with a mischievous smile. "don't say 'lover'... they'll get the wrong idea." Denny said, with a disappointed look on his face. "okay, Denny and LinLin... what are you guys doing camping out in an Ikea??" you asked them, with confusion written all over your face. "It's not like we have a choice... this is what happens to people who shop for too long." Denny replied with dread. "people who shop too long...? but, can't you just leave during the day? there must be a security guard who can help us-!" but as soon as you get up to go find such security guards, Denny grabs your arm. "you can't. those people... aren't normal anymore." suddenly, a wave of fear begins to overwhelm you at Denny's words. what does that mean? will they do more than report us? are they... bloodthirsty or something!? criminals..!? thoughts begin to fill your head as you feel your legs weakening. "also, it's kinda like, night forever~" LinLin adds. "night... forever? can't we leave?" you ask, frightful. "as far as we're concerned, we haven't been able to find an exit. even where one would normally be." Denny replies. you suddenly begin to feel yourself tremble. a cold, long shiver runs down your spine as your feet buckle under. you suddenly feel a hand pat your back in reassurance. "hey... it's alright. I'm sure we can find a way out of here together." it was Denny's hand and voice. his actions reminded you of when you comforted your friend after the test you both took earlier today. you close your eyes and compose yourself. "right, I'm sure I can at least use my phone to some extent..." you say, as you turn off your phone's flashlight and unlock it. you scroll to your contacts and begin calling your best friend. the wait for a response almost seems like forever. "sorry, but the number that you've called is now out of service." a beep plays and the call hangs up. what...? that can't be... why would my best friend's number suddenly be out of service? you fiddle around and call your mom's number. "sorry, but the number that you've called is now out of service." you call your dad's number. "sorry, but the number that you've called is now out of service." you dial 911 and make a call once more. "sorry, but the number that you've called is now out of service." "huh?" you can hear the cracking in your own voice. "is my phone broken...?" "that happened to us, too." Denny said, with a disappointed look in his face. "yeah! it's like, super spooky, right~?" LinLin added. you don't even understand what is going on anymore. you suddenly feel very dizzy, as your consciousness fades.