Back to school

The drive was formidable. The car was too small, the windows too thick, his mother too close, too much air and too much heat. Music was singing in Wilhelm's ear. Though his mother thought it rude, he told her it calmed him down, said he needed that. So she left him alone, sitting quietly, back straight, peering out the window in an observant, poised way that I guess would be expected from a Queen. She was not meant to be coming for Wilhelm's drop off, in fact, she was supposed to be at a charity event, but she pulled a few strings and managed to get out of it, much to her son's dismay. Wilhelm did not want a goodbye, he did not want her to pretend to care. It was something she repeated so often during the Christmas break. "I just want to protect you", "You are Crown Prince Wilhelm, your actions reflect upon the whole family, don't be selfish", "I'm saying this because I care". It was all bullshit. He knew she cared, oh she most definitely did, though the thing she cared so much about was not him, it was the crown. Nobody gave a shit about how he felt, just how he acted, how he came across, how reserved and unfriendly he was. Of course he acted like that, he had no one. Erik was dead. Simon was gone. The Queen, his own fucking mother, betrayed him, protecting August instead. 

Wilhelm always tried to pretend he was someone he was not, he never wanted royalty, and he didn't think royalty ever wanted him, but now, it was if he wasn't himself, but he also wasn't pretending to be anyone else anymore. He was just kind of there, foggy eyed, only half in conversations, walking with only half his weight. I guess the only way to put it is he felt lost. Last time he was in the car on the way to Hillerska, he felt dread and anger; he was pissed. This time was so different. He felt pain, the pain one gets when they feel unlovable. This thought of love made Wilhelm flinch, flinch enough to see his mother waving in his face. He slowly pulled out one of his earpods. "We have arrived Wilhelm" she said solemnly. He nodded, the same facial expression plastered on his face that he carried the whole journey.

They both arose from the car, the front of the school empty, apart from the Headmistress and of course, fucking August, in anticipation of the Prince and the Queen's arrival. Headmistress pirouetted for the Queen and greeted Wilhelm warmly. She had always been kind to him, more understanding than most, so he managed to give her a smile. "Hey Cousin, good Christmas?" August exclaimed. Wilhelm slowly looked up, a mixture of shock and disgust lapped his face. "No" he replied, and walked off with his bags, small wave to his mother as he opened the door to Hillerska. The sound of the door shutting was the only noise as the three of them (the Queen, August, and the Headmistress) stood there, unsure of what to do next. "Ah, he seems tired" August said toward the Queen-with a slight awkward smile, "He'll feel better after a good nights sleep, I'm sure. Have a safe return journey Your Majesty". August shook the Queen's hand and with a slight jog, returned into the building the same way Wilhelm did.