The beginning of the end

Everyone just stood there, silence piercing the once war-filled air. They were only able to watch as Thanos disappeared into a portal, smiling successfully and his win... and their defeat.

Standing on the war-scarred planet known as Titan were a mix of people: Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy (as well as Nebula and Dr. Strange). All different in the species or abilities, but all facing the same, harsh reality. Peter found it the hardest out of all of them, unsurprisingly, as he was only 16. He had only just been on his school bus on a trip to MoMA with his classmates a couple of hours ago, but now he was in space on a planet he didn't know, with only one man he knew. At a child he's always read books where the hero always won, and it had been like that in real life too, up until now...

Peter looked over to his mentor, looking for some comfort or hope, but that sizzled out quickly. Tony was staring at the ground, his eyes seemed fixed in a spot on the ground that did not exist, his face looked like there was a ghost there. His helmet off his suit had been folded back into his armour, this has been done sometime during the fight.

Without any comfort from Tony, he looked elsewhere, but didn't feel it the right moment to talk to anyone else.

StarLord, or, Peter Quill, had his arm over Mantis' shoulder, in both ways comforting her, but more himself from the loss of Gamora. Just off to the side of them was Drax, unsure of how to express his sorrow, so he just stood there awkwardly.

Dr. Strange was sat on some Shrapnel from previous wars on the planet, thinking through all the possible outcomes again, just to see if there would have been another way. He had his elbows on his knees and his chin on his fingers, his face contorted with tingling through the monstrous number of outcomes.

Not soon after Thanos left, Mantis seemed to sense something, but before she could say what, she... she... disintegrated!
She just turned to start that floated away before evaporating into nothing! Quill's arm fell down, confused, but not a second later, Drax also turned to dust, a confused look on his face as it fell into little bits.

Soon Quill started to look uneasy on his feet. "Steady, Quill." Tony said, noticing the imbalance, his arms out as if to catch him.

"Oh man..." Quill said, before turning to dust as his companions did.

Tony then turned around slowly, to see Strange looking him in the eyes, his mouth open to speak.

"There was no other way." He said, soon following in suit of the others.

A few seconds later, Peter felt a a tingling sensation, like his hairs on his arms standing on end. His "Peter-tingle", or spider sense.

"Mr. Stark," he said in a voice that held back a sob, "I don't feel so good."

"You're alright." Tony said, as is trying to convince himself.

"I don't- I don't know what's happening!" He spoke quickly, a cry almost reaching his mouth. "I do- know wha-"

He was cut off as he fell into Tony's arms, his own curled up in his chest.

"I don't wanna go." A cry reached this time as his body started to fade away, much slower than the others.

"I don't wanna go! Please?" He kept repeating as Tony lowered him slowly to the ground before thumping down.

The pain hasn't been too unbearable at first, but then his saviour as a hero started going against him in a futile effort. His body was ripping apart, but his healing was pulling it back together again, explaining why he was lasting longer than the others. Now the pain was so bad, he'd rather just die immediately.

"I'm sorry." He finally whispered, before everything went black.

661