Chapter 23: The Unexpected Return of the Second Prince

Start from the beginning

"A Hunting Festival in the Land of Shadows, Your Majesty," Sir Plisestky, the current ambassador of Svania asked, "can we guarantee the safety of our delegates?"

Anastasius confidently nodded. "With the current state of Obelia, we can surely venture in the area and hunt worthy beasts and treasures. Perhaps we can also annihilate the entirety of the Land of Shadows, too."

Another noble from Azelio, a nearby nation, raised a concern. 

"What about Mana? Surely we can use it for defense."

Sir Roger Alpheus cleared his throat, "We will not prohibit it. however, the use of mana will be closely guarded, sir."

The other ambassadors whispered among themselves. They, too, were also unsure of the plans but they also longed to explore the forbidden Land. of Shadows. They thoroughly discusses the Emperor's terms and conditions before declaring their final verdict to Anastasius.

"Are you sure they will agree to this, Anastasius?" Roger whispered to Anastasius. "As your Royal Adviser, I do believe that it is quite a risky plan."

"Only a mere fool could deny an offer of a lifetime. Each of their nation's ancestors have dreamt of exploring the Land of Shadows and we are the first to do so. Why disagree now?"

"You do have a point, but you are also putting my fiancée's line at the risk."

"You don't just refer to Odette, my sister, as your fiancée." Anastasius glared at Roger. "She is not limited to that title because she is the Princess--- the Sunbearer that will save us all. I have trained her all these years for this moment, Roger."

"I apologize, but I cannot afford to sacrifice Odette's life for the sake of the Empire's future."

Anastasius paused. Roger knew the possible outcomes of his plan. 

"I do not intend on letting her die," he reminded Roger. 

"Yes, but your plan is not a full guarantee, is it? It is better to not take the risk, Anastasius-"

Roger was cut off when the Royal Messenger suddenly entered the room. This was the second time that Anastasius' meeting was disturbed due to an unwanted presence.

Because of this, everyone became silent. All eyes were on the messenger, who was sweating nervously. It felt as if he was running away from something or someone.

"Greetings upon the Sun of Obelia, along with the honorable ambassadors," he said in between breaths. "I hold important news-- it's about Prince Claude. We tried stopping him, but he has already entered the Palace Gates and is now on the way here."

Claude? Anastasius, or anyone in the room, hasn't heard of that name in years. The Emperor sighed, "Tell him to wait, then. I have a very important meeting right now."

"The meeting can wait, Anastasius."

Everyone's eyes suddenly froze. The mana that came from the Entrance Door overflowed throughout the Palace. It was so strong that all of those present in the room, except Anastasius, bowed their heads to the voice. Claude stood tall in front of everyone with Felix beside him. 

Anastasius, who sat tall at the very top of his throne, was met with a deadly stare from none other than Claude. The tension between the two rival brothers seemed to intensify as each second passed. 

"Everyone, leave us." He stood up from his throne with a smirk of amusement. "me and my brother have some catching up to do."

----------

"Where the hell is Odette?" Claude questioned his brother. "and what did you do to her?"

"Is that how you greet your older brother, Claude?" he asked in a mocking tone. "I expected better from you."

"Oh fuck the formalities, Anastasius. Don't avoid the question."

They were currently having tea in Anastasius' study. Well, Claude refused to drink it. God knows, what if Anastasius put poison in it?

"She is currently resting in the Emerald Palace," he reassured Claude. "anyway, how have you been?"

"Why are you asking me that?"

"Is it odd for me to be concerned for my brother?"

He eyed Anastasius suspiciously. "Coming from you, yes. You usually ignore me four years ago, and you don't even respond to my letters."

"Well," Anastasius took a sip of his tea. "I have changed, dear brother. Of course, you have also changed.... a lot, I presume."

Claude was practically the same height as Anastasius. His baby cheeks have also grown into sharp features that suit him well. He was practically an adult now, it seems. In just a span of four years, Claude de Alger Obelia has improved in all aspects. 

But Claude.... Claude knew that Anastasius was up to something. He always had something up his sleeve.

"You're acting odd, Anastasius." he confessed. "What do you want?" 

Anastasius slid an envelope to Claude. It looked like an invitation.

"Compete in the Hunting Festival, Claude. Venture the Land of Shadows and guarantee the safety of Odette," he offered. "can you do that for her?"

The younger prince stood up from his seat and took the envelope. He left Anastasius alone.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

NEXT CHAPTER TITLE: "In a Matter of Time and Space"

a/n: YEA... uh, sorry for the long hiatus. also anastasius isn't bad, aeterenitas is. in the hunting festival, he'll be prolly controlled by aeterenitas that's why he assigned claude to take care of odette.

i missed u all. feel like u gotta re-read all of this to remember :'D

anyway, more consisted updates (hopefully) love uu