"She's stopping," Edward said after a moment, sighing in relief. Then he frowned as he focused on her mind.

Valeria had a habit of thinking so fast that he couldn't catch everything — bouncing randomly from one thing to another. She could start out wondering if a bear could kill a shark and then move to remembering a funny joke from some sitcom and end up thinking of an eight-year-old season of Project Runway.

However, despite the chaotic mess that was Valeria's mind, Edward still knew her. He knew the way her mind moved and it was familiar to him.

Which meant he knew as her mind started to wander — to what, Edward didn't know — before abruptly snapping to a new topic that Valeria was specifically trying to not think of something.

"There's something she's trying not to think about that she doesn't want me to hear," he said, his frown deepening.

He could feel her mind continuously trying to travel to its desired subject, but Valeria wouldn't let it. She was intently trying to recite the lyrics of the Animaniacs world nations song.

Rosalie rolled her eyes as she passed through the room. "We've all done that before. Your gift is particularly annoying."

"But not Valeria," he stated, shaking his head. "She's never cared about the thoughts I've picked up on — doesn't even bat an eye over the really personal ones. She's focusing hard to not focus on what she wants to keep secret."

"Whatever it is, it's Valeria so it can't be bad," Bella said, holding Edward's hand. "Want to go to my house? That way you don't have to stress over her thoughts, and Val can have some privacy."

Edward nodded and then chuckled. "Valeria says to thank you," he told Bella, meaning that Valeria had been listening in as they discussed her. Usually, it was a coin toss as to whether Valeria was listening to others in the house. Most of the time, she didn't care what everyone was doing, but other times, her focus shifted to the others accidentally and then stayed there.

Bella was glad to leave. A part of her had an idea about what Valeria was trying to hide. She wasn't sure, of course, but figured it had to do with the 'top-secret werewolf business' that involved her as well as the baked goods she had asked Bella to deliver. And Bella was right about what Valeria was trying not to think about for the most part.

Of course, it was best Edward didn't know what she was so desperately trying to hide. If the family found out she was talking to any of the wolves — befriending them — they'd lose their minds. They'd yell for hours. They'd probably keep her locked in the house. Rosalie and Jasper would certainly threaten Sam and sweet little Seth. Carlisle might have even called the Elders of the tribe.

Once Edward and Bella were gone, Valeria could relax. Because all she wanted to think about as she painted the river separating their territories was Sam Uley.

It had been a few days since they saw each other, but she could clearly remember every minute, every smile, every laugh as the two of them sat at the treaty line. They had spent almost two hours together before Valeria had to return home — though it didn't feel nearly as long with how much they enjoyed each other's presence.

It was hard for Valeria to keep the shifter off her mind, and really, she didn't want to think of anyone else. She just wasn't aware of the reason why or that he thought of her even more often.

When Valeria heard someone heading for her room, she quickly turned her canvas to face the wall. Any one of her family members would be able to identify the painting of the treaty line, and then they might question why she was painting it.

A moment later, Jasper stepped into the room, lightly knocking on the open door despite the fact that she had already heard him coming.

"Hey, Jazz," she greeted, tucking her paintbrush behind her ear, not caring that some of the green smeared on her cheek. "What can I do you for?"