Ch.53 - Cooperation

Start from the beginning

Helped by her servant girl, the Old Madam also stood up. Whenever she saw Cheng Yuanjing, the Old Madam would inevitably be reminded of little Xue-shi and couldn't have a good expression. However, her words were very polite. It was completely different from facing Cheng Yujin and Ruan-shi: "Ninth boy, why are you here?"

Cheng Yuanjing replied: "Just a small matter." After a pause, he continued nonchalantly: "I remember that right before the Marquis passed away, he made clear a lot of things. However, looking at Marchioness and the others now, I'm afraid that you still don't quite understand."

Old Madam Cheng and Ruan-shi's expression suddenly stiffened.

"That day, the Marquis said that seniority has to be put in order, and the younger generations are to be treated equally regardless of gender. Although Cheng Yujin's marriage contract was canceled, she has the right to the dowry. To move her belonging to someone else for an inexplicable reason is unacceptable. Second Madam Cheng has accepted the two thousand taels from the Marquis, which means you accepted his arrangement. But now you said that the Marquis' arrangement is not appropriate, on what basis?"

Cheng Yuanjing's tone was flat and calm, but it was even more imperious than a loud scolding. Ruan-shi looked embarrassed. She pursed her lower lip and said: "I did this, isn't it for the sake of Yichun Marquis manor? Besides, only our family members are present there at that time, and no one else would know..."

"Why wouldn't anyone know?" Cheng Yuanjing looked at Ruan-shi indifferently. "Even if no one else knows, what does second Madam plans to do?"

Ruan-shi's words seemed to be stuck in her throat, and she suddenly became speechless. It was the first time Cheng Yuanjing saw such an ignorant, yet fearless person. He no longer bothered to look at Ruan-shi again and directly confronted the Old Madam: "For a repectable person, one word is one promise. Let alone the last words of the Marquis. Marchioness, you are a lady with the honorary title conferred by imperial mandate, the person in charge of the whole Yichun Marquis manor. Could it be that Marchioness treats propriety as nothing?"

Cheng Yuanjing obviously ignored Ruan-shi, but Ruan-shi's face flushed with shame. At this age, Old Madam Cheng had seen many kinds of things, but she couldn't understand why this shu son had such a strong aura. However, the Old Madam still needed to maintain her prestige. She paused for a while and slowly said: "Naturally not. As long as it is the word from the Old Master, whether or not outsiders know, this old woman will do her best to follow his intention. Since the Old Master has made arrangements for his two granddaughters before his death, this old woman has nothing to say."

Seeing the scene before her eyes, Cheng Yujin blinked. She had spent so much effort and even made soft threats, but Old Madam Cheng refused to relent. Unexpectedly, Cheng Yuanjing only said a few words, and Old Madam Cheng immediately back off.

Cheng Yujin originally planned to find a chance to act, but now she found out that Cheng Yuanjing had arranged everything in an orderly manner, and she didn't need to do anything at all. Since she remembered things, it was the first and only time in her life that she didn't need to worry about anything, and didn't need to do anything either, because someone was here to protect her.

Cheng Yujin couldn't tell what kind of feeling she had now. She sighed softly. It seemed she owed Cheng Yuanjing once again.

"That's good." Cheng Yuanjing said, "Since it's so, let make it clear once and for all. Someone come, go and invite Shizi and eldest Madam here."

Cheng Yujin frowned and said softly, "Ninth Uncle, I'm afraid that my mother is currently busy and cannot come here."

"Use my name to invite them." Cheng Yuanjing didn't care at all. He added: "And the second girl, call her over too."