Ch. 49 - Second Wife

Start from the beginning

Hearing this, Cheng Yumo comforted: "Duke Cai shouldn't so worry. Shizi is still young. He will naturally be sensible after growing up. Boys are like this. People said that a naughty child would grow up to be an achiever."

Zhai Yanlin sighed, but looking at his expression, he certainly agreed with this statement. The common view was that boys matured late, and it was normal for them to be naughty when young.

Cheng Yujin stared at Cheng Yumo, then at Zhai Yanlin, who clearly had the same mind. For Cheng Yujin, it was simply the biggest joke in the world. Could it be that boys and girls were born different, so that when they reached certain ages, boys' brains suddenly transformed and made them sensible?

Such a miracle didn't exist. When a child was young, no one disciplined him. His elders let him loose to wreak havoc as he liked. Once he grew up, he would become a lawless person who regarded human life as ants. In any case, Zhai Yanlin's mindset surely had a contribution to Zhai Qing's behavior.

It seemed that Cheng Yumo's words stimulated Zhai Yanlin's mood. He sighed deeply upon his son's undisciplined behavior. For a while, Cheng Yujin listened to them and then slowly said: "Duke Cai said that you are unable to control the shizi. Is it because Duke really helpless, or simply doesn't want to discipline your son?"

Cheng Yujin listened to Zhai Yanlin and Cheng Yumo for a while, then slowly said: "Duke Cai said that you are unable to control the shizi. Is it because Duke really helpless, or simply doesn't want to discipline your son?"

Cheng Yuanjing raised his eyebrow slightly. He lowered his head to look at Cheng Yujin with a surprise in his eyes. Hearing Cheng Yujin's words, Cheng Yumo immediately frowned: "Sister, how can you say that to the Duke? Duke Cai is busy with court affairs and still personally educates his son after coming home from the morning court session. He is the role model of a good father. Sister, your remark is too irresponsible."

Cheng Yujin ignored Cheng Yumo and continued to speak calmly, as if she wasn't afraid of offending Zhai Yanlin: "Today's matter, Duke Cai has also seen it personally. Shizi isn't completely ignorant of adults' words. It depends on the patience and determination of the speaker. I'm just an outsider and can accomplish it. As shizi's father, why Duke Cai think that you cannot?"

Zhai Yanlin was so shocked that he fell speechless for a long time. Cheng Yumo became even more disagree: "Sister, you are taking it too granted. Children shouldn't be frightened. Being too strict will only scare them. For example, today sister let Zhai shizi sit on the ground. How can this be okay? Shizi and third brother are still young. You should let people around to persuade and coax them slowly. They surely will listen."

Cheng Yujin chuckled. She never wasted effort to reason with fools and simply treated Cheng Yumo's words as passing wind. Cheng Yujin looked up to Cheng Yuanjing, standing next to her, and was suddenly feeling curious about the crown prince's view. She asked: "Ninth Uncle, what is your opinion?"

Cheng Yuanjing lowered his gaze and met Cheng Yujin's bright eyes. Knowing that none of her schemes was a good thing, Cheng Yuanjing gave her a subtle glance and asked: "Why do you ask this?"

Cheng Yujin laughed and replied jokingly: "Of course it's because this niece cares about Ninth Uncle's heirs. If Ninth Uncle had a son in the future, I certainly hope for him to be a talented and capable person."

There was some sincerity in Cheng Yujin's words. Although it seemed like she was joking, she was earnest in her words. The matter of Cheng Yuanjing's heir was directly connected to future political change and prosperity. Cheng Yujin sincerely hoped that the crown prince would teach his children well and not raising a scrouge like Zhai Qing. After all, Zhai Qing was merely the heir of a noble title. No matter how ridiculous he was, the chaos he made would be limited to his family. But if it were Cheng Yuanjing's son, he would become a disaster for the whole country.